keep slow fade only on 8 modes LED controller

lp.descamps

New elf
hi,

I see a lot of guides on how to bypass completely the controller and have the lights on steady on but any idea if it s possible to to have it hardcoded to slow fade only?
one solution I saw is to replace the capacitor with a bigger one so it keeps the selection in memory while not used but I would like to find a better way

thank you

light_rear.jpg
light_front.jpg

Last edited:

Katekate

Senior elf
some of them have solder pads where you can add a tiny memory chip to allow them to remember the setting.

not much we can do other than guess without knowing what the controller is.

Reactions: i13

kwennerberg

New elf
hi,

I see a lot of guides on how to bypass completely the controller and have the lights on steady on but any idea if it s possible to to have it hardcoded to slow fade only?
one solution I saw is to replace the capacitor with a bigger one so it keeps the selection in memory while not used but I would like to find a better way

thank you
Can you provide link or details on "slow fade"?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Some threads that may help:

lp.descamps

New elf
some of them have solder pads where you can add a tiny memory chip to allow them to remember the setting.

not much we can do other than guess without knowing what the controller is.
Hi, I have attached 2 pictures of the controller. the lights are running on 24V. thanks

lp.descamps

New elf
Some threads that may help:
hi, thank you for the links. unfortunately, I don't want to bypass. i just want to use the effect every time I turn them on.

i13

Dedicated elf
A lot of us here including myself have converted our light sets to computer control. That would be one way to mimic the effect that you want but I wouldn't bother if this is the only reason that you're doing it.

kwennerberg

New elf
Thanks. When I build this I will be controlling the lights with an xLights program and a Kulp controller + Badgerboard. Is that what you would mean by "computer control"?
Knowing other computer languages I see how one could simulate fade by adjusting the brightness every second or so in a programming "loop". What frequency of brightness "step down"" would you recommend for smooth?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Thanks. When I build this I will be controlling the lights with an xLights program and a Kulp controller + Badgerboard. Is that what you would mean by "computer control"?
Knowing other computer languages I see how one could simulate fade by adjusting the brightness every second or so in a programming "loop". What frequency of brightness "step down"" would you recommend for smooth?
There is no defined correct answer because what one individual sees as 'smooth' another may not. Whatever it is will be a mesh of the human eye merging images (neighborhood of 30 images per second) and the illumination decrease step size and rate; in a digital scheme that is. It would be slightly different for an analog control scheme as a step size would not exist.

i13

Dedicated elf
I was answering the question in this thread in the context of low voltage traditional LED strings, not pixels. I don't know about the Badgerboard but the Kulp controller is for pixels. You'll need to replace the LED string's original blinker unit with a DC controller to achieve computer control in the context of my above post. I notice that you're in America and I'm not sure how common low voltage LED strings are over there.

Answering the question on frames per second, I'd do this in xLights so it'll be determined by the frame rate set in xLights. In my sequences, this is 40 frames per second but some other displays run at 20 frames per second. For the slow fade effect (which I remember from before converting to computer control), the frame rate could probably be much lower e.g. 10 frames per second and still look smooth. This is because it is literally a slow fading on and off. The brightness won't change too much from frame to frame. The original blinker units looked like they only had a few preset brightnesses that they could use. This made the slow fade effect look a little bit stepped but you'd have to look for it to notice it.