Kulp controller K4-PB

pilotman06

New elf
Have you configured your ports in fpp? Nothing will happen unless you do that. You are one step further as I get no lights. It's totally dead. On it's way back to kulp.
I configured my ports via X-lights and upload the outputs and they show up as I would expect. I didn't want to take-over your thread so I created a new one with my issue with port screenshots attached. With lights on port 1, Channel Outputs BBB strings shows my string configured on port 1, with no response. Move the string to the differential board with an ethernet ran to the 9-12 port on the K8-B. Update Xlights and verify the string is now shown under port 9, and everything works great.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
I configured my ports via X-lights and upload the outputs and they show up as I would expect. I didn't want to take-over your thread so I created a new one with my issue with port screenshots attached. With lights on port 1, Channel Outputs BBB strings shows my string configured on port 1, with no response. Move the string to the differential board with an ethernet ran to the 9-12 port on the K8-B. Update Xlights and verify the string is now shown under port 9, and everything works great.
I would go in fpp

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Unhook everything from your l8 except power and your wireless dongle. Power it in and wait for it do its thing. After a couple minutes go to your internet connections on your computer and you should see one that says fpp. Log into that one aame password as your regular internet. It will say no internet . Now open up chrome and type in http://fpp.local. that should bring you into fpp.In fpp ser your date and time. Then go to network settings. Leave it at dhcp if you want to have your router set your ip address or change to static to create your own. Next section after that enter your router name and password. Below that enter your DNS. Once again, it can be static or auto. Every time you change something save it update settings. When you update or reboot, you need to log back into fpp for your internet. Once that's all complete, jump over to the 3rd section and go into input and output settings. That's where I had to configure my ports for my card. There is a fpp manual listed on kulp under each card. Basically all the same. that takes you step by step through this.

pilotman06

New elf
Unhook everything from your l8 except power and your wireless dongle. Power it in and wait for it do its thing. After a couple minutes go to your internet connections on your computer and you should see one that says fpp. Log into that one aame password as your regular internet. It will say no internet . Now open up chrome and type in http://fpp.local. that should bring you into fpp.In fpp ser your date and time. Then go to network settings. Leave it at dhcp if you want to have your router set your ip address or change to static to create your own. Next section after that enter your router name and password. Below that enter your DNS. Once again, it can be static or auto. Every time you change something save it update settings. When you update or reboot, you need to log back into fpp for your internet. Once that's all complete, jump over to the 3rd section and go into input and output settings. That's where I had to configure my ports for my card. There is a fpp manual listed on kulp under each card. Basically all the same. that takes you step by step through this.
Thanks again for the help! I'm having no trouble connecting to FPP, and can get FPP to do exactly what I want when the lights are connected to a port on the smart differential board. I have tried inputting the pixels manually in FPP on the BBB string page, which from the videos I have watched is not generally the preferred way but I tried it for troubleshooting. Personally I have found configuring them in xlights using universes and then letting Xlights upload that to FPP using "Upload Output" is the recommended way. No matter if I label it as #1:1 on port 1 in Xlights, or start channel 1 on port 1 in xlights or go into FPP BBB string and identify "start Channel" 1 and 185 under "pixel count" under port 1, I get no response. Attached is how my BBB string page looks after I upload outputs from Xlights. It is also correct that the Kulp controller cannot test the lights until they are first set correctly in the output section.

I hate to say it but worry there is a manufacture defect on these K8-B boards. Everything works flawlessly when I configure it to a smart receiver board, which would be port 9 for me. But nothing works when I attempt the same config on ports 1-8 built into the Kulp board. Just today I connected the string one at a time to each of the 8 ports, updating the BBB string page, saving, and restarting and/or rebooting the controller each time. No response on any of the 8.

Attachments

• K8-B Port 1 Universe 1.jpg
    K8-B Port 1 Universe 1.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 6

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Thanks again for the help! I'm having no trouble connecting to FPP, and can get FPP to do exactly what I want when the lights are connected to a port on the smart differential board. I have tried inputting the pixels manually in FPP on the BBB string page, which from the videos I have watched is not generally the preferred way but I tried it for troubleshooting. Personally I have found configuring them in xlights using universes and then letting Xlights upload that to FPP using "Upload Output" is the recommended way. No matter if I label it as #1:1 on port 1 in Xlights, or start channel 1 on port 1 in xlights or go into FPP BBB string and identify "start Channel" 1 and 185 under "pixel count" under port 1, I get no response. Attached is how my BBB string page looks after I upload outputs from Xlights. It is also correct that the Kulp controller cannot test the lights until they are first set correctly in the output section.

I hate to say it but worry there is a manufacture defect on these K8-B boards. Everything works flawlessly when I configure it to a smart receiver board, which would be port 9 for me. But nothing works when I attempt the same config on ports 1-8 built into the Kulp board. Just today I connected the string one at a time to each of the 8 ports, updating the BBB string page, saving, and restarting and/or rebooting the controller each time. No response on any of the 8.
I'll look at it when I get home. I wonder if you did a fresh install of fpp if that would help? Since it only takesx5-10 minutes.