Kulp K32 not outputting to lights

tbm878

New elf
This is my first year, and i am in the process of installing my halloween show. I have the matrix's and props and controllers all installed. Everything is wired up, i believe correctly. I can currently only play the matrix's thru xlights output to lights, and they work fine aside from the bad brand new pixels I've ran into. The 2 kulp k32 controllers for my props do not light up with xlights output to lights when playing a sequence. I can run the testing functions from the fpp controllers webpage, and everything does work from there. Also, everything works in test mode at the individual controllers. I attached a screen shot of one of the k32 controllers xlights settings. Is there something that i have configured incorrectly in xlights, or perhaps a setting in fpp that i have wrong? I have the entire show hardwired with cat6 ethernet cable, and separated on its own vlan with ubiquiti unifi switches.

Thank you for any help or suggestions,

Tim

Attachments

• k32 front garage props controller settings.jpg
    k32 front garage props controller settings.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 12

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I see a red dot in the bottom right hand corner; this would imply that your PC cannot communicate with the controller.
How do you get to the show vlan from the PC in order to configure the controllers?
Are you plugging in a separate port, or are you routing it somehow?

tbm878

New elf
I see a red dot in the bottom right hand corner; this would imply that your PC cannot communicate with the controller.
How do you get to the show vlan from the PC in order to configure the controllers?
Are you plugging in a separate port, or are you routing it somehow?

I have extra ethernet ports around the front exterior of my house. I am plugging into that with a usb adapter on my laptop. So i am hardwired to the switch/vlan.

If i am on my laptop, plugged into the show network vlan, i can log into the fpp/beaglebone from this laptop and test the lights just fine from fpp web interface. But i can not play the sequence on the k32's.
I will have to check the managed network switch ports and make sure they are all still configured correctly. I had originally had it setup in my basement for testing. But it sat unplugged for a while and then i moved it to the 2nd floor by the main controller box. Maybe something was reset?

Tim

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Tim,

If you can get to the configuration page from the laptop when connected to the show network, there's nothing needed from a network level to get Output to Lights working.
Two things to check:
1. On the FPP instance, goto IO Setup / Channel Inputs, and make sure the "Enable Input" box is ticked. No further config on this page is needed as you're using DDP.
1696641394935.png

That's the most likely culprit. The other thing that may be an issue is xLights if you're hardwired to the show network AND connected to your home WiFi at the same time, which is the source used for the packets.
2. File -> Preferences -> Output Tab ---- select the IP adress associated to your USB NIC on the show network. Blank means default, which it may be incorrectly choosing.

1696641503554.png

tbm878

New elf
Hi Tim,

If you can get to the configuration page from the laptop when connected to the show network, there's nothing needed from a network level to get Output to Lights working.
Two things to check:
1. On the FPP instance, goto IO Setup / Channel Inputs, and make sure the "Enable Input" box is ticked. No further config on this page is needed as you're using DDP.
View attachment 23794

That's the most likely culprit. The other thing that may be an issue is xLights if you're hardwired to the show network AND connected to your home WiFi at the same time, which is the source used for the packets.
2. File -> Preferences -> Output Tab ---- select the IP adress associated to your USB NIC on the show network. Blank means default, which it may be incorrectly choosing.

View attachment 23795

I do have the "enable input" boxes checked. I will have to check the force local IP address settings. Hopefully that's the issue. I'll report back in the morning.

Thank you for the help!
Tim

tbm878

New elf
Hi Tim,

Two things to check:
View attachment 23794

View attachment 23795

Well i typed in the ip address of the laptop and same issue, the k32's don't light up when playing a sequence in xlights. The light in the bottom right corner on the controllers page is now green though for each of the k32's.

Can you or anyone else think of some other things to try?

Thanks,
Tim

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Do the Kulps come up with anything on the status page about received packets at all?

tbm878

New elf
Do the Kulps come up with anything on the status page about received packets at all?
It shows this, but only after i do the fpp--->status control--->display testing

Attachments

• 20231007_104817.jpg
    20231007_104817.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 8

tbm878

New elf
I'm at a loss. The props and matrix panels all work when testing from the fpp web interface. But only the matrix panels (ran from a k64 board with sdr's) work. The k32's that control the props do not work when testing from xlights or when playing a sequence from xlights output to lights. I even tried to upload a sequence thru fpp connect to the controllers and when playing from the fpp playlist, again only the matrix's light up and the props do not.

It has to be a software setting somewhere, because the lights do all work when in testing mode.

Tim

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
Zoom room is probably the answer. Showing the helpers what you have for settings is valuable in this situation. Too many variables to check each place along the way. Or join the chat on here and maybe someone can talk you through it.

BTW, which version of FPP do you have on each controller?

tbm878

New elf
Zoom room is probably the answer. Showing the helpers what you have for settings is valuable in this situation. Too many variables to check each place along the way. Or join the chat on here and maybe someone can talk you through it.

BTW, which version of FPP do you have on each controller?

I did go into the zoom room last night. They found a couple of settings that were causing my issues.....i turned off "auto upload configuration" and turned on "keep channel numbers" for all of my controllers. I have fpp 6.3 on all of my controllers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_075331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_075331_Gallery.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: