Kulp K8-B on-board ports not working

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
You've got to jump onto a zoom session with someone whether that be someone from here or over on the xlights forum. This problem needs a pair of eyes to go over everything.

rmarcus929

New elf
You've got to jump onto a zoom session with someone whether that be someone from here or over on the xlights forum. This problem needs a pair of eyes to go over everything.
Having same issue with K8PB. Did you find a solution.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe we could summon the OP @pilotman06 to update us?

Also post some screenshots of you setup tabs in xlights, and FPP just like the OP has shared.

rmarcus929

New elf
I'm going to try a smart receiver off of my port 9 to see if I get the same results. In a few days.

pilotman06

New elf
No, neither the original board or replacement board Kulp sent me worked. I even had the Xlights Zoom Room try to troubleshoot and they couldn’t solve it either. Their guess was either both Kulp boards had the same failure, or possibly the beaglebone had a bad pin out (as I used the same beaglebone). I’m tempted to try a new beaglebone but they are a bit overpriced right now.

Kulp sent me the second board, but when that one had the same issue I didn’t get any further help from Kulp. I ended up running my show using a receiver plugged into each of the 3 ethernet ports. That should get me by for next year’s show too, then I’ll probably upgrade to an F48 or K40.

pilotman06

New elf
I'm going to try a smart receiver off of my port 9 to see if I get the same results. In a few days.
Definitely recommend getting lights working from a receiver board to test. Then once you get a string of lights working on that and configured via xlights, you can plug it in to the K8 and reconfigure the port in Xlights and see if it works. My strings worked flawlessly on a receiver board but any attempt to move them to any of the 8 K8 ports wouldn’t work.

I also used the V and ground from the K8 with just the data running through the receiver board to ensure my power was correct, and that worked as well, so i knew my V and ground on the K8 were correct. I also saw someone struggled with their’s until they updated FPP to the most recent version. That fixed their problem but did not resolve mine.

Brenton

New elf
Hello everyone,

First thank you for your help and input. I am new to this and opted for a Kulp K8-B with a beaglebone black with FPP pre-installed for my first attempt. Unfortunately after setting everything up, I am unable to get the 8 on board ports to function correctly. With a pixel string plugged in to any of the 8 ports, they will not light up when using the on-board testing menu, the test menu via FPP, or trying to run any of my sequences. In an attempt to check voltage when touching my multi-meter to the screws in the pixel connection port, I have randomly gotten a few pixels to light up random colors. Generally only the first 1-3 pixel modules. They are unresponsive to FPP commands and they only turn off with a power disconnect.

To Troubleshoot I was able to connect a smart differential receiver board to the port 9-12 plug on the K8-B. Both the K8 and receiver board are connected to the same power supply. With the string connected the the differential board I am able to get them to fully function in every way. The test button on the receiver board works, the test options via the on board buttons/screen works, the test function on FPP works, and my sequences will run. At one point I tried 3 strings on the differential board and 1 string on the K8 port, the 3 differential strings worked, while the K8 string did not. Kulp sent me a replacement K8-B board and unfortunately it is responding the same way. It seems odd to me that two board would be defective in the same way but I am not sure what I may be doing wrong to cause this issue. I am showing 12.8v at the power supply, 12.8v at the differential, 12.7v at the differential pixel connection, 12.5v at the K8-B power input, and 12.5v at the K8-B pixel connection port. FPP is report 11.9V In. In previous troubleshooting my multimeter showed ~12V at the end of the pixel string that was connected to the K8-B but not responding.

Attached is my X-lights controller settings. and my FPP BBB settings when it is not functioning on Port 1, and when it IS functioning on port 9. For Port 1 I use #10:1 start channel with 3 strings (Garage Under Eaves, Entry Under Eaves, and Bedroom Under Eaves) connected in sequence all specified to Controller Port 1. For Port 9 I use #90:1 start channel. I don't think it is applicable but I inject a fresh power source after 84 modules (252 pixels) in either configuration.

I would love to find what I am doing wrong in my setup, otherwise I have two non-functioning K8-B boards. Thank you again!
Hi,

I am having an identical problem to this. I have been able to troubleshoot in the same manner by using a smart receiver off the main board and receiving the exact same outcome as yourself. Were you able to ever diagnose the problem?

Thanks very much for any assistance.