Latest winter build

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Awesomeness there mr great work. myself I struggle with timber as cannot weld it back together . Question for you will it produce steam or fog . That would be really cool for the kiddies . I have memory of would be more than ten years ago now of first light up of big static xmas tree parents thought was amazing but the children asked me when is going to start spinning around jason lol . Im sure you've already thought of assumme a fog machine producing simulated steam would be ultra cool . Once again great woodworking there am jealous as sure many of us are. can't wait to see pics of finished product

scamper

Dedicated elf
If I can work it out, then yes, I will somehow get steam. I have thought of a fog machine, but I assume they are 240v and I would then need an inverter for it. That being said, I do have a small inverter up the shed, so anything is possible.

*Update, I found a fog machine that should operate on the inverter I have, I also found that they are wired remotes, but have since found a cheap 4 output wireless remote that switches relays, so I will be able to use one each for forward, reverse, whistle and smoke.

scamper

Dedicated elf
A little more progress on the Train today. I have added the mounting for the "boiler" and the front section.
A few other cosmetic pieces also added. :D
I also went to measure up the area where I plan to store it... All I can say is, I should think ahead in future.
The train so far is 2.4m long and 1m wide. Luckily I have 1.2m wide area to fit it in and the length is not an issue unless I want to make a tight turn. ???

Attachments

• train drum.jpg
    train drum.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 80

scamper

Dedicated elf
I decided to undercoat the whole thing now so there is more chance of it lasting before i go any further.
I didn't expect it to take as long as it did. I did the top half one day and that took 2 hours, then I lifted it up and did the underside which took another 1.5 hours.
I hate painting, so i chucked the HoHoHos and didn't do anything on it until today, when I scored an old gas bottle and cut it down and undercoated for the dome.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20160505_173150.jpg
    20160505_173150.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 46

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Didnt know you made my Nutcrackers. They came out great!
I have two and people think they are smaller until they walk up to take a photo. nearly 2m to the shoulder.
If I were to do it again, i would have made the drum bigger. I made it 4' diameter to save on plywood.
Mine are going on to my 5th Christmas this year (4 years old). Still going strong.

Storage is always the issue.

scamper

Dedicated elf
smeighan said:
Didnt know you made my Nutcrackers. They came out great!
I have two and people think they are smaller until they walk up to take a photo. nearly 2m to the shoulder.
If I were to do it again, i would have made the drum bigger. I made it 4' diameter to save on plywood.
Mine are going on to my 5th Christmas this year (4 years old). Still going strong.

Storage is always the issue.

Thankyou for the instructions on the Nutcrackers. It would be much easier to build the train if I had instructions, but I suppose that is half the fun.
[/size]I have a granny flat with a mezzanine floor, so he just stands next to the stairs. I added castors to the bottom to move it around and just take the head off when getting it inside.
And as far as size, I have had people walk up to peer into the window of "Santa's workshop" and admire all the wonders inside, when one of them was standing right next to the giant I heard her say to her kids "look at that giant nutcracker" talking about the 2 foot one inside. I said to her to look up! She was stunned.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Bit more work in the shed over the last week.
I painted the dome gold, gave the roof of the train a couple of coats of gloss black and while I was out the dump found someone had chucked away a waterproof steel box. It had a bit of rust and the hinges were seized, but nothing a bit of elbow grease and a couple coats of paint couldn't fix 8)

Attachments

• painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 55

scamper

Dedicated elf
I haven't done much for a while, but while I was in the shed on the weekend cleaning up, I found an old handle that was in less than pristine condition, so seeing as the fire was on and I was feeling a little bored from cleaning up. I decided to sit down and see what I could do with this handle. I figured if it polished up alright I might use it on the side of the train as a handle to get up into the cab.
Well after a bunch of chemicals and elbow grease, This is what I ended up with :)

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 35

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Nice and shiny! [emoji92] Will make a great cab grabbing handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scamper

Dedicated elf
Not much progress, but progress all the same.
Started painting the cab and front boiler. I have been scouring the planet for interesting bits to put inside for levers etc and found a few that I have either polished or painted. I have also started on the light. I am still waiting on some wheels, so I can get onto the mechanics.

Attachments

• drum sm.jpg
    drum sm.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 35
  • handlesm.jpg
    handlesm.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 35
  • paint train sm.jpg
    paint train sm.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 60

scamper

Dedicated elf
So it has been a while since I have been able to do anything with the train. As it grew, I very quickly ran out of space in my shed and with the never ending winter and rain, i could not move it outside to either make more progress or paint. But with spring finally making an appearance, i have got some more work done.
Unfortunately great expectations have dwindled and a few modifications have been made, just so it can make an appearance in this years show.
I have added some wheels so it is movable and for this year at least am making some wooden cutouts for wheels just so it looks the part.
I have got a lot more to add to it. The light for the front is ready and I have yet to add any of the accessories, but they are polished and ready to go. Hopefully i don't run out of time.
[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• train 2.jpg
    train 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 85

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Looks fantastic. Looks like there has been a lot of hours work done there and it's looking very pro! Well done.