LED 240v AC Ropelight - Can they be dimmed without causing damage

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi,

I've got some LED rope light over the years from a few places, namely Woolworths and Big W. I've been looking at getting more LED rope lights from places such as Starlight Warehouse in Adelaide or Deals Direct.

What I'm wondering is whether dimming 240vAC LED Ropelight would cause harm to it? Should they still work if dimmed? The tag on the LED ropelight I have is specifically rated for 240v only and not a range.

I'm specifically interested in finding out whether the following will be compatible with 240vAC triac dimming:

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I've always used 240v LED and Incan rope light plugged into a AC LOR controller without even thinking about it. I have never had any issues with It and was always happy with the dimming and flash rate. I'd like to hear also if there's any need for concern

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Ryan
I've used the Big W connectable LED rope with dimming without any problems. Just tested again and I still have lights on (but barely visible) at 2%.
I see no problems.
Regards Geoff

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
That's cool, Geoff.

What year(s) did you buy your connectable LED ropelight? How many seasons have you been using it with dimming?

Just leaves a question of the Snowflake and Star motifs, now, as I assume there may be differences in the wiring etc (better to assume this than assume they are identical!)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Assuming you remove any MF controllers, I can't see a problem for the rope light itself. The only issue may be the erratic operation of smaller (low wattage) pieces, where the controller may not drive it quite correctly. This is much the same as the (incorrectly termed "snubber") issue you see on the US forums.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
One thing to be aware of when removing the controllers on LED rope lights is that you also in most cases will be removing the DC rectifier. The LEDs will still work but you will see a flicker in them as the current flows back and forth with AC. LEDs conduct current only 1 way and so you will have a flicker every 1/2 cycle when run on AC without the controller and DC rectifier.

So the best option is to use the rope lights with a DC rectifier after the LOR controller so this will minimise any flicker

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Ryan
I've used the rope for a couple of years now. Still OK. It has no controller, just an in line bulge in the power cable - presumably a rectifier. This year I replaced this function with RGB strip - more options.
Regards Geoff

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I have modified quite a few rope lights bought off Bunnings and the Warehouse in NZ, I have cracked the multi-controller and did the mod shown on a forum to bypass the control circuit.

I have been running them on a Lynx Express and they dim beautifully using both wired and wireless, they are made into spiral trees using steel tomato frames with 10m length multi coloured rope light.

I have been caning these in the garage with no issues so far.

Kev :)

L

ledgeek

I don't think these rope lights are dimmable.You dim the lights by changing the input current.