Led net lights 5 wires

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
i13 said:
You'll get the best result by measuring the current and choosing the voltage to get the right current. 10mA is a safe current through each LED. Multiply the number of series sections in each channel by 10mA and that is the current you want. In net lights a series section is usually a stripe that comes on across the strip but check the wiring carefully. Each series section is where the LEDs are wired end-to-end between the negatives and the common positive. They're typically around 10 LEDs long.

Once I work out how to do that I'll have a go. Thanks for offer of help on chat.

Would like a few normal LEDs in display as don't want to just have pixels. Had a look online at a factory in China and their photos show sets with more than 2 wires but a lot of them are bulk buys.

Cheers

i13

Dedicated elf
It has been a long time since I've heard of anyone ordering but try contacting mysolarled.com
I believe they make them whatever voltage/size/colour you want. I've read the quality is good with the only negative being that if you choose clear wires they'll turn brown in the sun. This seems to happen with all clear wires and not just those from mysolarled.

I was surprised when I ran my Big W red string at the correct current because it was brighter than with the original plugpack. I've now used it this way for three seasons and not had a problem. The calculation is easy once you've done it and know what to look for. You can then use diodes to get everything running at the same voltage because they typically drop somewhere near a half volt each. If you have a particular light set that requires a higher voltage than everything else then the modification is harder.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
Feel free to say this is a stupid question!!

40186ab9efdd933166c4593281294ada.jpg

But I now have 2 of these power supplies from the net lights. Can they be used for a dmx36 to run the net lights with dc converter ? Or easier just to use a Meanwell psu.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's a good chance that the no load voltage could cause the resultant DC output to get to around 40V which is higher than the DMX36 can handle. Safer to use a brick style power supply. benbrown and Ray Wu have them for $US17-20 for 350W ones.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
No worries I thought that would be the answer. Just seems a waste as seem fairly heavy duty power packs. Might find a use for them some day.

Cheers

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
Thanks for everyone's help on this. Received the 27v psu today and lights work perfectly after cranking up the voltage a bit. Multimeter wouldn't show the voltage but just guessed on the brightness compared to mains power light set then turned it down a bit !!.

Cheer for your help

Homer