Led Strand Interface with ws2801 Chip? Software?

entropy64

New elf
Hello Board!

I registered on this board, because i see much development is going on here.

I have a Line of 625 RGB Led Modules with a WS2801 Chip controlling the LED.

Now i am in search of a Software/Interface to put Live Video/ Effects into these Leds.

At the moment i have a SD-Card Non-Realtime Controller, but i wanted to display VU Meters, Scrolltext etc.

So you have any idea what setup i could use or build?

Thanks in advance for your Kind help

entropy64

dmoore

Senior elf
entropy64 said:
The problem is, do i need a converter from DMX to SPI/i2c ?

Yes - you will be able to use the upcoming protcol bridge - PB3212 to link your 2801 chipped lights to DMX which LSP works with.

entropy64

New elf
This board is so great :)

Can you give me a link on the converter you mention? Is there any information/release date?

Will the bridge somehow limit the number of pixels i can drive?

Thanks,

entropy

entropy64

New elf
Great stuff, indeed, thanks for the link.

Am i right from reading the specs that i will need 10pcs controllers eg to drive 1000px from LightshowPro?

dmoore

Senior elf
entropy64 said:
Great stuff, indeed, thanks for the link.

Am i right from reading the specs that i will need 10pcs controllers eg to drive 1000px from LightshowPro?

If you have 625 nodes, then you have 1,875 channels (R+G+B). So, in the current design of the protocol bridge, you would need 4 PB3212 controllers (625/170 = 3.67). Thats nothing compared to what you paid for the pixels.

entropy64

New elf
Thanks for explaining dmoore!

I was able to source the pixels at 1,60USD per pixel, and i hope the bridges are not so expensive :)

Do the Bridges plug in directly to the PC or would i need yet another USB2DMX Interface/Converter?

Thank you,

entropy.

dmoore

Senior elf
entropy64 said:

I was able to source the pixels at 1,60USD per pixel, and i hope the bridges are not so expensive :)

Do the Bridges plug in directly to the PC or would i need yet another USB2DMX Interface/Converter?

Thank you,

entropy.

Take a moment and read through the two posts on the Protocol Bridge - they have the answers to your questions.

Thanks,
David

mschell

Full time elf
entropy64 said:

Thank you,

entropy.

Put simply, you'll need a Bridge for each 170 pixel nodes (510 DMX channels) and a USB2DMX dongle for each Bridge or something like the EtherConGateway that should be able to talk to multiple Bridges, I think. The ECG would need to be driven by something that can output E.131 (DMX over Ethernet or something similar) via a network card.

LSP does this. I believe there's a Vixen plug-in that have been developed as well.

As dmoore mentioned, there's more details in the TP3212 section.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
sorry that should have read

email john@response-box.com and we can send out some PCB's now. ( For USA ), or you can contact me for AU or NZ, although, i'm just waiting for them to arrive in the mail. ( john has a stack of 50 )

Documentaiton is just getting finished up now.

Btw, for teh aussies, this is the board that i had on display at the melbourne mini.

jstjohnz

Apprentice elf
entropy64 said:

Thank you,

entropy.

I have a controller that will control all of your strings with a single board, up to 680 pixels total. For full resolution you would need 4 DMX connections, but if you can get by with controlling your pixels in small groups instead of individually you can get by with fewer dmx inputs. More info here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12444

The next version will support E1.31, a type of DMX over ethernet. If your controlling software supports E1.31 you wouldn't need any interface at the PC other than a LANcard.

-jim-