Lighting a pinball.

Binkles

Full time elf
I've attached a pinball table that I have, I'm going to turn it into a coffee table, but I want to make the lights live again, and create patterns like it did in its original life.

I was thinking, I could use my joshua1 with pixels, but think its overkill, as all the lights only need to be white....

A pinball of this age had up to 64 lights, not strings, and also a general illumination string, this project doesn't need all 64 channels, as some lights were attached to devices, and not under table, but I think a 64 channel item should do it.

I would like to program a sd card, USB whatever, as long as I wouldn't have to keep the table connected to the network, and all the table would need is power.

Because there are so many smart minds here, I thought someone may know of the hardware that may be best to do this.

Thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365907146.106732.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365907146.106732.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 35

cozbert

Full time elf
you could use something like the arduino to control the LEDS they will even do pixels with them if you want :)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
cozbert said:
you could use something like the arduino to control the LEDS they will even do pixels with them if you want :)
the arduino mega series could do 54 outputs using a fet to control the 24v incan lights..
or a simple transistor could power a couple of leds from each output

Binkles

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
OMG! What happened to your Funhouse? (I have 3 pinball machines myself)

When I was in New Zealand I had 3 tables, funhouse, Indiana jones, and judge dredd.

I sold the other two when we were moving to Aussie, but funhouse was not working, parts that were broken were no longer available (boards, a couple of ramps) and as it was my all time favourite table I could not just dump it.

So I kept the table, and the translight which is waiting to be framed.

I'm not sure about ardueno for programming the lights, and think I may still just use the Joshua p2 outside of christmas, especially if this daughter board will be able to run without a computer.

I love pinball, I've been buying every table that has been released in the pinball arcade on the ipad, it's great playing all the games I can no longer find. I wish I could of afforded to bring the whole funhouse machine so I could still try and fix it, I fear I will never play a real one again.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
A shame about your pinball table. Here is the states there are quite a few places that repair machines and sell repair parts as well. The older machines are much more fun to play to me than the new games on ipads and such. The new stuff just doesn't have the feel like a good ole fashioned table did.

As far as lighting this for a coffee table or whatever you decide to use it for, how about one of the cheap controllers that Ray carries to allow you some different flashing effects on it?

Something along the lines of this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/T-1000S-SD-card-led-pixel-controller-2012-new-version/701799_533601713.html

Which would allow you to use an SD card to change programs for it although the 1000 is way overkill for this project. But there are other smaller ones on Rays site as well as some small ones with remotes to allow you to change things from your chair.
Should make a very interesting piece for conversation.

Bird

LOR user
Making a table from that is a neat idea.
I would use LED not RGB. I would also try to determine how to run the LED's at 25% or 50% brightness for an indoor lighting element.
As always, video or it didn't happen. :)