Like riding a bike - reinvigorate the megatree

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
looks great, is the PET UV safe? I imagine many weeks have gone into printing those up!
PETG has been widely used by 3d printing enthusiasts for display props now for quite a few years with little discussion on prints failing from UV. So whilst i haven't personally got any testing for PETG under the belt I have placed a couple items outside for sun exposure.
A item printed and used for the xmas season is likely to get around 8 weeks (bit longer for us slackers at pulling stuff down) and will last a number of seasons at a minimum.
How they bulbs yellow over the season is my biggest concern/interest.
I've got about 3 weeks ties up in printing the c9 covers but only a couple days printing the strip mounting hardware.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Time for a new topper as I have increased the number of strings being used and the old one had got warped.

The old one was made by laminating some plywood between two sheets of steel... to lighten this one up a little as it would be bigger i used some 3mm Alu treadplate.
Printed out some router guides then really just used them to set the radius on the router circle jig. it can be fun routing aluminium especially all the little flakes that seem to go everywhere.
Next was to drill all the holes and about now i remembered to get a couple of photos.
P9260222.jpg
secured to two plates to some scrape mdf and using a drilling template not in this photo initially drilled all the pilot holes at 3mm, went back and drilled the bolt holes for M6 at 6.5 and then the hook hanging holes at 8mm top, 9mm bottom plate

P9260223.jpg

The center hole for the star mount pole at 32mm was drilled using a 32mm tungsten carbide forster bit.

the near end result is below, the 3d print is done in ABS and you can see how the strings attach to the topper.

P9260225.jpg

Still on the printer is the topper to pole attachment section

damona

Full time elf
@AussiePhil how did it go. I have thought of doing the same thing, as I want to double the number of strings to from 8 to 16 in 180deg mega tree.
Have you had any windy days?
I assume your using Boscoyo mounting strips?
Where did you get the hooks from?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
@AussiePhil how did it go. I have thought of doing the same thing, as I want to double the number of strings to from 8 to 16 in 180deg mega tree.
Have you had any windy days?
I'm lucky enough that we get sheltered from really bad winds, the setup is not new in concept, it's how i've done the megatrees before and unless you fail to anchor the bottom of the string there are no issues
I assume your using Boscoyo mounting strips?
nope not even in the close to them, these are custom made from 19mm PET pallet strapping 1mm thick, drilled at 100mm spacing using a jig and diamond hole saw.
From memory the Boscoyo strip had just appeared in the states the same year (quite a few back now) and was not even vaguely getable in AU.... there will likely be a really old thread showing me drilling these :) years ago.
Where did you get the hooks from?
The metal j-hooks are Bunnings, the translucent brackets are my own custom design 3D printed in PETG

I have gone well if slowly.
new build thread for the tree started today as i started to put it up
So the story is continued in that thread.