Looking at starting with a mega tree - after feedback etc

Qantarus

Year 3 - still keeping it simple
Hey all

After lurking around these forums for well over a year and being less than happy with my static lights display last xmas I've decided that I need to stop reading and start doing. For the past few weeks I've been reading, watching and devouring every bit of information that i can get hold of - whether that's a good thing or a bad thing only time will tell!

The thinking at this stage is to start with a mega tree:
  • Still till decide if it will be a flat or 180 degree tree. Leaning towards a flat tree that can have singing faces on it
  • Would be creating an extension of between 1400mm and 1500mm on top of an existing 1530mm high colourbond fence post
  • Using 2811 bullet nodes with 1 inch spacing at this stage. Viewing distance from the road to the flat tree would be around 13m - slightly less with a 180 degree tree.
  • Securing the nodes with 12mm mounting strips
  • Looking at between 16 and 20 strings initially.
  • Starting out with a 5v setup.
  • The attached photo shows where the tree would be situated.
  • Would be using a Falcon f16v3 controller (have indicated interest in the mega buy thread)
I guess I'm after feedback that I'm on the right path not only with the node spacing (should i be going wider for the viewing distance etc) but also the number of strings and whatever anyone else can suggest. I'm aware there could be some injection required using the 5v setup, so again happy to be convinced otherwise that I should be using 12v :)

Asking a lot I know, but I am the sort of person who likes to get as much sorted as possible before fully committing :p
Once I get this 1st part sorted I already have plans to add arches, a matrix and a number of other props (have access to a good supply of 2nd hand corflute advertising boards through work) to the display.

So hit me with as much infoFence - disance to st.jpg as you like - the more the better :)

Jay

scamper

Dedicated elf
Firstly, the fence post for colourbond fences are usually only in the ground about 550mm and quite ofetn only a small amount of concrete. If you are in granite or similar OK, but if it is sandy soil, the added weight of a mega tree could end up tipping your fence over. I am not saying don't do it, but be mindful of it and brace with guy wires or whatever to help. When you add a bunch of pixels it gets very heavy and you can get a lot of wind loading on it. I use 5v nodes and have no problem, I have 75 up and 75 down, they are injected at the bottom of every string, none at the top, I have heard of people going even further by just running at 20 or 30% (all done in the falcon)
The other thing to look at is viewing it. What I mean is you are putting it behind a side fence panel, so unless you directly in front you will only see the top of it, So maybe look at setting up a stand alone tree a little closer to the rd. Maybe in line with the front of the side fence. It is easy to get a piece of pvc pipe to use as a sleeve and concrete in the ground and have it just below the surface, so you can put a cap on it for the rest of the year. PVC concreted in the ground is extremely strong.
I would feel you neighbours out on what they think of bright flashy lights before going too far though, as some people have bad experiences with neighbours and big displays. I don't , thankfully, but some do. Maybe talk to them about what you are doing, see how they feel and even look at putting on a BBQ for the neighbours at xmas to get them into the spirit.
Anyway, have fun.

Qantarus

Year 3 - still keeping it simple
Hi Scamper

Thanks for the feedback. I had noticed that the fence post wasn't the most stable so had already planned to replace it with a 2.4m post that will be at least 900mm into the ground. I may even look at going deeper to give more reinforcement.

Wind is another very good thing I had kind of forgotten about. That fence is north facing and where I am the really bad weather tends to come from the south so I will need to give that some serious consideration.

As far as neighbours go I'm pretty lucky. The people directly over the road (only 1 house and 1 empty block) are pretty good about the lights and actually wonder why they are not on when they are up. The inset location would help with protecting the neighbour to the left and I don't think the viewing angle is an issue at least in the 1st year. After the initial setup I can reassess if i want to move it further out and improve the viewing angle but decrease the viewing distance. I guess that is why I am looking at doing the pixel spacing at only 1 inch at this stage.

Thanks for your response - given me a bit more to think about :)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Jay.
1in spacing is quite dense for a megatree, but should look pretty good for images and text type effects. Being 5v isn't a bad thing, particularly because all the nodes will be close together and close to the power supply (I assume)
Being against a fence there's definitely no use being any more than 180deg should you go for that. At least with a curve it looks a bit more like a tree, but flat ones look just as good.
Creating an extension to an existing post I think will be asking for trouble. One big gust of wind and I bet I know where it will break - at the join of existing post.
Not sure what type of materials you're looking to use but I'm using square galv steel. Here's a fairly detailed write up which may help inspire your build:
https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/crjajess-mega-tree-guide.5440/

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.