LOR and RGB with 1.31

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I've now read the manual and had a look at the presentation on 1.31 from the mini. Getting a bit better feel for it now. A few questions if I may.

1) How important is it to get a separate network. I have limited understanding of networks. I know IP address and can ping to test things in DOS but not the best at setting them up. I'm only going to run 2 RGB strips at this stage but if it is a right royal pain to share a network I will get a new network adaptor and put it in.

2) Does the 1.31 network replace the LOR dongle to talk to the LOR 16 channel AC controller or are both required.

3) I understand the pixel controller has an IP address. Does each RGB strip on the pixel controller have its own IP address. I had a look on LOR S3 to see how the RGB channels are set up and could not see an option for 1.31 or IP address. How do I tell the software to send data to the IP address.

4) If I have two RGB strips on the one pixel controller is one DC power source enough. They are 10m long,30 LED/m, 12V and SMD 5050. I'm assuming it is as they are both powered by the one at the moment.

5) How do I know what IC protocol my lights have. Is it written on the strip. Sorry I didn't check this but my lights are packed away.

Please be gentle with me. Remember I am not that up to speed with the jargon or electronics in general. I'm an Ag Engineer so my electronics background ended in first year at uni and that seems to be a long time ago now.

Thanks again.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
1) the e1.31 (ethernet) to control your lights can be shared with an internet connection if you have to

2) there is no ethernet device that will give you LOR network control. The pixlite, P12 and a few other boards have E1.31 in and pixel as well as dmx out. LOR boards can be run in dmx mode so they can hang off the pixel board if you want. You can use a usb dongle at the same time as an ethernet pixel board if you want.

3) the strips have absolutely no addressing on them. They simply respond to the data that is passed to them in a kind of bucket brigade fashion. The E1.31 pixel board has to be configured as to what universe and channels get pumped out on what output. In LOR the channels have dmx universe and channel assigned to it. In the network setup you point the dmx universe to a given IP that responds to the E1.31 board you are using.

4) The power supply can be from 5W to 500W so you'd need to specify the power supply. Most people here use 350W DC supplies which will run a fair few strips.

5) It will probably be on the chip bit will probably be next to impossible to read. The source of wherever you got the strips is the best bet to get the chip type. 2801 and 2811 are quite common but there are a fair few others

bbayjohn

Senior elf
BundyRoy said:
I've now read the manual and had a look at the presentation on 1.31 from the mini. Getting a bit better feel for it now. A few questions if I may.

1) How important is it to get a separate network. I have limited understanding of networks. I know IP address and can ping to test things in DOS but not the best at setting them up. I'm only going to run 2 RGB strips at this stage but if it is a right royal pain to share a network I will get a new network adaptor and put it in.

When you say 2 rgb strips do you mean pixels, as dumb strips can be run off a dc board and daisy chain from cat5 from your ac16 controller . If pixels then you need a controller like jys system. This can be connected straight to you rj45 socket on your computer. If you need that to run internet you can get a usb to rj45 outlet( helps so you can get help in setting it up)

2) Does the 1.31 network replace the LOR dongle to talk to the LOR 16 channel AC controller or are both required.
nope both

3) I understand the pixel controller has an IP address. Does each RGB strip on the pixel controller have its own IP address. I had a look on LOR S3 to see how the RGB channels are set up and could not see an option for 1.31 or IP address. How do I tell the software to send data to the IP address.
Have a look at the lor network preference program> dmx each universe has 512 channels http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/LOR/DMX
check some of Andys videos, this will shed some light(pun)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqAMQT8wSQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wByDT7F5t2s

4) If I have two RGB strips on the one pixel controller is one DC power source enough. They are 10m long,30 LED/m, 12V and SMD 5050. I'm assuming it is as they are both powered by the one at the moment.
Yep, what amp psu? Rays are 350 amp but a meanwell may only be 95amp

5) How do I know what IC protocol my lights have. Is it written on the strip. Sorry I didn't check this but my lights are packed away. what Alan said

Please be gentle with me. Remember I am not that up to speed with the jargon or electronics in general. I'm an Ag Engineer so my electronics background ended in first year at uni and that seems to be a long time ago now.

Thanks again.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Alan and John. Got to love the videos. Sorry for not being specific John but I have smart RGB strips so will need the controller.

From what I understand a universe has 512 channels. In the first video I saw that Universe 1 was sent to outputs 10 and 12. I saw that in the set up of the pixel controller that each output was nominated a number of pixels. Does this mean that in the example shown that if output 10 was set up with say 150 pixels then the first 150 channels of universe 1 got to output 10 and then the next nominated amount of channels get sent to output 12.

The rj45 on my computer is currently used for the internet. It is connected to a wireless router and then a modem. In order to prevent chaos with the wifi network is it possible to just hook the 1.31 network into the router or is it better/necessary to go the usb to rj45 path.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
BundyRoy said:
150 pixels then the first 150 channels of universe 1 got to output 10 and then the next nominated amount of channels get sent to output 12.

1 pixel is 3 channels, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue. so 150 pixels is 450 channels. Depending on the controller you end up using, this could go close to filling up an output. Each universe is 170 pixels /512 channels but some controllers do up to 4 universes per output.
universe 1 - channels 1-512
universe 2 - channels 513 - 1024
and so on.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer for you

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I use 2 NICS, so it can be done, your E1.31 can be on a separate network.
I suggest Unicast VS Multicast.

I used a J1sys D4 for E1.31 to DMX, but I have a butt load of LOR CCR's, you could just use a D2

Example:

PC Nic (e1.31) --> Switch port 1
Switch port 2 ---> J1sys D2 ---> (LOR X-over) ---> LOR Controller ---> LOR Controller
Switch port 3 ---> Other E1.31 Pixel Controller ---> Pixels

If you add any other E1.31 you can add them to the switch as shown above

I set my LOR Universe to 1 and 512 Channels ... you still need to address your LOR Controllers via a USB Dongle before placing them on the bridge so you do not have conflicts
Most my controllers are 16 channels...so 1-16 is 1st controller 17 - 32 is second controller.... etc etc.
Only one Controller needs to go to the bridge... the rest are daisy chained of of the one going to the bridge and they do not need the x-over

Universe 3 would be where I start E1.31 controller
You then decide what your Pixel count is...

Example: 50 Pixels is 150 Channels..... and then set your controller as such... Keep track of channels used as that will help you...

Example: Universe 1 I set to 512...so 1 to 512 is Universe 1
Universe 2 would be 315 to 1024
Universe 3 would start at 1025 to 1175 if I only used 150 of the 512.
Universe 4 would be 1176 to 1325 if I used 150
Etc Etc.

-Blu

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Sorry for my confusion with the pixels and the channels. So getting back to the example in the video where universe 1 goes to 2 outputs on the controller board. Universe 1 is 512 channels. Say the first output is set up for 150 pixels, so 450 channels.

Does this mean the first 450 channels of universe 1 go to the first output. Then the next set amount of channels goes to the next ouput.

Or, do you have to nominate somewhere which channels in a universe go to a certain output on the controller that has the IP address.

Or, if the one universe is sent to two outputs, do both outputs get the same channels sent to both. (ie channel 1 in universe 1 goes to the first channel in both the outputs universe 1 is set for).

I hope I have explained what I am trying to work out clearly enough. Basically I am trying to work out how to use all the channels in a universe when more than one output (which I think effectively means more than one smart rgb strip) is required to use all 512.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Another thing that is a little confusing for me.

Is the LOR CCR just a fancy name for a smart RGB strip or are they different somehow.

dale82

Senior elf
bundy, pop into chat it is easier for people to help you out with smaller questions and youll get a response pretty much straight away.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Just got hold of the smart RGB strip supplier (was on ebay) and they said it will either be 6803 or 2811 protocol so at least that is in the range people use on here. It was over 12 months ago I bought it so they couldn't be certain which one I got. If it helps it has 3 wires coming out of the plug that goes in the multi function controller. For what its worth this is what I got http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5M-10M-15M-20M-RGB-LED-magic-dream-strip-chasing-color-133-changes-strip-light-/161030596352?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&var=&hash=item257e2be700 although mine was the waterproof version they seem to have sold out of. There is also a round power adapter (like laptop power supply) that goes into the strip separate to the 3 wires but it must get its power through the three wires as I didn't have to use the power plug, it got its power through the controller. I think the adapter is for power injection when running longer lengths.

Reading between the lines and jumping to conclusions I am leaning towards 2811 as the manual says 6803 is 4 wire and 2811 is 3 wire. We'll see how I go. Hopefully better than my footy tipping of late.

dale82

Senior elf
Bundy, most of is on here use a supplier called ray wu, the eBay link you gave is expensive, a 5 m roll of strip light ws2811 is $20 from ray wu

mborg10

Michael Borg
Bundy, from all the research I have done I decided to make my show all dc12v ws2811. It only use 3 wires so cuts soldering time down by a quarter. Because I've kept it all the same everything is compatible with each other.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
To answer your question about CCR's

LOR CCR's have their own Power supply and controller
They are usually expensive unless you get them on sale or a package
They are smart strips with 150 channels (50 nodes)
The controller has special built in channels that do odd things when used... although I have never seen them in use.

Pros: independent controller, independent Power Supply, special control channels (non-normal mode)

Cons: expensive, requires DMX bridge with E1.31 with LOR X-over - or - run with LOR RS485 Dongle.
only 3 can get grouped together per universe or Dongle for best performance

Specs and info here: [SIZE=78%]http://store.lightorama.com/cocori.html[/SIZE]

I use 17 of these in my Display without problems

-Blu

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I figured it was expensive. The funny thing is that in my search for lights last year I'm pretty sure I did discover the ray wu store or at least a chinese supply site like it but I wasn't game to use it. So I went with what I've got so I'd have something.

Anyway the good news is I can now afford more lights because they just got cheaper!