LOR and Twinkle for pixels

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Was thinking about the effect of LOR twinkle on pixels last night. My thinking was that since the channels turn on and off "randomly" it would end up creating a multi coloured strip of flashing lights (well 7 colours anyway). Is this right or does it keep it white and just turn on and off. Happy either way, just want to know what I'm in for before sequencing it.

I guess shimmer should stay on the set colour as all channels are on/off together.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Twinkle and shimmer are LOR controller hardware functions. On RGB channels, Twinkle produces multicolour effects, not a white twinkle. For cosmic devices, there is a twinkle macro effect which gives white.

Shimmer acts on all controller channels simultaneously, and therefore should give white shimmer on pixel strings. On LEDs, I find shimmer too hard on the eyes and rarely use this function.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What pixels/controllers are you using because the twinkle and shimmer effect only work with LOR compatible hardware, so using other hardware and pixels then the shimmer and twinkle effect will not work with LOR software

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
I use the LOR twinkle effect with RGB pixels (via E1.31) and like the multicolour effect it gives.

So what your saying is that LOR now have also a software driven twinkle and shimmer effect as before it they only had a LOR/LOR s3 capability.

If thats the case then im out of date here

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the replies. At least it's good to know that my logic/understanding is still working.

Eddy, from what I can work out the shimmer/twinkle effect controls all channels regardless of whether they are lor hardware or rgb. It's just that when you do the twinkle and random channels turn on and off you end up with mixtures of colours with rgb as each of the 3 channels turns on/off. Can't get an automatic twinkle in white on pixels in S3. Need superstar (and possibly lor cosmic colour lights) for that I think.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks John, hadn't thought of that. I'm not really after the white twinkle anyway, was more keen to get the multi coloured pattern going easily. Just wanted to confirm what I was getting before I did it.

I haven't tried it yet obviously, but does it show up as multi coloured changing lights in visualiser.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Fasteddy said:
David_AVD said:
I use the LOR twinkle effect with RGB pixels (via E1.31) and like the multicolour effect it gives.

So what your saying is that LOR now have also a software driven twinkle and shimmer effect as before it they only had a LOR/LOR s3 capability.

If thats the case then im out of date here

Yep, I've always used the software generated twinkle on LOR S3. :)

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Now for the next twinkle effect. Just was thinking if I set the rgb pixels to one of the three solo colours (red, green, blue) where only one channel is in use and then use the twinkle effect, it should work as designed as there is only one channel to turn off to make light go dark. Maybe the twinkle will only be 1/3 as effective as it turns off 3 channels randomly but only one of them does anything.

What's others experience with this. Seems to work in visualiser.

dougd

Full time elf
I use twinkle on single colors quite often. It works out quite well. I dont twinkle white as often because it does turn the pixels multicolored and doesn't go with the sequence when most everything else is white at that time.