LOR CCR alternative

dannyp

Full time elf
Hey Eddy when you say you rettasked them for your candy canes, did you simply load a sequence into the CCR controller so they run standalone or is LSP still controlling them?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DannyP said:
Hey Eddy when you say you rettasked them for your candy canes, did you simply load a sequence into the CCR controller so they run standalone or is LSP still controlling them?

LSP is controlling them, I am using the CCR controllers as DMX pixel controllers through a ECG-DR4

Imacericg

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
jeffl said:

yes thats them, so they will have the same individul pixel control as the 1809, but the big difference is the 1809 is 12VDC and the 2811 is 5VDC

Jumping in here. So the above strip is the most like a CCR with individual pixel control, and not the strip linked in post #6.

AND can you confirm each strip will take 1 universe to run? (30 pixels x 5 meters x RGB = 450)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Imacericg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
jeffl said:

yes thats them, so they will have the same individul pixel control as the 1809, but the big difference is the 1809 is 12VDC and the 2811 is 5VDC

Jumping in here. So the above strip is the most like a CCR with individual pixel control, and not the strip linked in post #6.

AND can you confirm each strip will take 1 universe to run? (30 pixels x 5 meters x RGB = 450)

This is the closest to the CCR strip as in that it has the same LED count and the same pixel count, the CCR is 30 LED/M with 10 controllable sections per metre, so if using LOR superstar then these can be used easily as they have the exact same number of LEDs and controllable sections as a CCR. In fact the 2811 has better dimming qualities than the CCR as the 2811 is 8 bit, the CCR is 5 bit but when used with a CCR controller is will run effectively as a 7 bit because of the way the data is sent 4 times per cycle to the strip so it gives the illusion of having more dimming steps.
The strip you are talking about has more contollable sections so will be difficult to utilize in LORs superstar, it is also 5vdc where as the other strip like the CCR is 12VDC. So this strip is every LED is controllable, where as the strip i mention above is 3 LEDs per controllable sections just like the CCR

jeffl

New elf
I read a ton and watched a bunch of videos. What should we truly watch out for in 5v vs 12v? Are there wiring differences between the two or other things to compare?

I'm a LOR user but with tools like NutCracker I wonder what you would be missing with SuperStar.

Robert

Apprentice elf
jeffl said:
I read a ton and watched a bunch of videos. What should we truly watch out for in 5v vs 12v? Are there wiring differences between the two or other things to compare?

I'm a LOR user but with tools like NutCracker I wonder what you would be missing with SuperStar.

Here is a link to the thread explaining the differences,

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2595.0.html

jeffl

New elf
That link added more information thank you. Now for a 5v question. I have read a few places where people have talked about having to re-inject power or power a string from both end when running 5v.

Is there a way to calculate when you would have to re-inject power?

Imacericg

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Imacericg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
jeffl said:

This is the closest to the CCR strip as in that it has the same LED count and the same pixel count, the CCR is 30 LED/M with 10 controllable sections per metre, so if using LOR superstar then these can be used easily as they have the exact same number of LEDs and controllable sections as a CCR. In fact the 2811 has better dimming qualities than the CCR as the 2811 is 8 bit, the CCR is 5 bit but when used with a CCR controller is will run effectively as a 7 bit because of the way the data is sent 4 times per cycle to the strip so it gives the illusion of having more dimming steps.
The strip you are talking about has more contollable sections so will be difficult to utilize in LORs superstar, it is also 5vdc where as the other strip like the CCR is 12VDC. So this strip is every LED is controllable, where as the strip i mention above is 3 LEDs per controllable sections just like the CCR

Ok, so I think the lightbulb just went off in my head, do I have this right:
CCR - Cannot control by single pixel, instead each section that contains 3 pixels
8211 Strip - individual pixel control, but might not be compatible with SuperStar

Robert

Apprentice elf
jeffl said:
That link added more information thank you. Now for a 5v question. I have read a few places where people have talked about having to re-inject power or power a string from both end when running 5v.

Is there a way to calculate when you would have to re-inject power?

Here is another link that should answer that question ,

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2402.msg21018.html#msg21018

Sorry i keep posting links and not giving direct answers.I'm a newb to all of this, but I've been reading and learning as much as I possibly can. My brain kind of hurts from an overload of info. Also make sure to download and read the 101 manual. It's full of great info!

jeffl

New elf
It looks like about 50 pixels in the key for 5v. I can see now that there is a lot more things to consider when using 5v stuff. I need to do some more searching for WS2811 12v stuff. I don't recall there being many options.

Also how long can a strip be before running into injection problems. I should probably figure out the math but my guess is 5 meters is safe 12v and 4 meters for 5v.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Imacericg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Imacericg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
jeffl said:

CCR - Cannot control by single pixel, instead each section that contains 3 pixels
8211 Strip - individual pixel control, but might not be compatible with SuperStar
The 2811 strip comes in 3 variations
30 LED/m 10 contrallable sections per metre, 5 metres, 12vdc, external IC (3 LEDs per controllables section)
30 LEDs/m 30 controllable sections per metre, 5 metres 5vdc, internal IC (1 LED per controllables section)
60 LEDs/m 60 controllable sections per metre, 4 metres 5vdc, internal IC (1 LED per controllables section)
The last 2 strips can also come in black or white strip

jeffl said:
It looks like about 50 pixels in the key for 5v. I can see now that there is a lot more things to consider when using 5v stuff. I need to do some more searching for WS2811 12v stuff. I don't recall there being many options.

Also how long can a strip be before running into injection problems. I should probably figure out the math but my guess is 5 meters is safe 12v and 4 meters for 5v.
For a 5v strip you will need to inject between every strip
With 12vdc you will need to inject at every second strip, for example i supply poer to the first strip and then i inject power at the end of the second strip.

Imacericg

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Imacericg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Imacericg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
jeffl said:

The 2811 strip comes in 3 variations
30 LED/m 10 contrallable sections per metre, 5 metres, 12vdc, external IC (3 LEDs per controllables section)
30 LEDs/m 30 controllable sections per metre, 5 metres 5vdc, internal IC (1 LED per controllables section)
60 LEDs/m 60 controllable sections per metre, 4 metres 5vdc, internal IC (1 LED per controllables section)
The last 2 strips can also come in black or white strip

jeffl said:

For a 5v strip you will need to inject between every strip
With 12vdc you will need to inject at every second strip, for example i supply poer to the first strip and then i inject power at the end of the second strip.

Thank you. Appreciate the help.

systemdm

New elf
Looking for suggestions or if there is a better way to do this.

[attachimg=1]

Controller:ECG-P12R
http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p12r/

I have a small area to work with and the viewing distance to the tree will be between 2 and 8 meters. I plan on cutting these strips in half to make a 2.5 meter tree.

5 - Pixel strips: BLACK PCB 5m WS2811 LED digital strip,30leds/m with 30pcs WS2811 built-in the 5050 rgb led chip;waterproof in tube'DC5V input
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-30leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050/701799_684974109.html

Cords: to connect to the controller
10pcs/lot3 Core White Waterproof pigtail,20cm long each;male and female;male connector's diameter:13.5mm
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-lot3-Core-White-Waterproof-pigtail-20cm-long-each-male-and-female-male-connector-s-diameter/701799_645466813.html
Also would like 10 of these 1 meter long to connect to the strips. Not sure if Ray sells these.

1 - Power Supply: With the short length of the strips, I don't think I will need power injecton.
350W Dual Output Switching Power Supply;88 ~ 264VAC input;5V/350W output, CE and ROHS approved.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-5V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599937.html

1 - Enclosure:CG-1500: Not sure if the power supply and controller will fit and any heat issues.

I used LOR last year. Can I use either HLS, Vixen or Xlights with the LOR controllers in this configuration? Not sure how to configure the CTB16PCs to work with the ECG-P12R. It seems the more I read, the more questions I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.
D-Ray

Attachments

• LED tree.jpg
    LED tree.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 113

kane

Dedicated elf
Hi D-Ray

The first issue with your diagram is that you're confusing DMX with Ethernet. It does get a little confusing that both use RJ45 connectors, but unfortunately your setup will not work.

Where you have the green crossover cable marked, this will actually need to be a normal Cat5 cable running from the ECG-P12R back to your hub/switch/router (which is then connected to your PC)

If you haven't purchased a USB dongle already, I'd instead go for an ECG D2 or D4 - these also connect to your network and provide 2 or 4 DMX outputs - more flexible than USB dongles..

systemdm

New elf
Thanks Kane.

Dang.....I thought I read somewhere you could use a crossover cable. I already have the USB dongle with the two CTB16PCs. So I would just connect those as I did last year and run a separate network switch for the ECG-P12R? Not sure how to configure the sequencing software to see the different controllers.

D-Ray