LOR E1.31 to LOR AC and DMX Controller set up

Karob

Let there be Light!
Hi Experts

As I inch closer to my final setup design for 2012 I am about to embark my first year of using some non LOR products in my display, with the arrival of LOR E1.31 on my Advanced software I am looking to set up a mix of LOR AC boards and Rays DMX boards.

What I need to clarify is will what I have in the diagram below be the best way to set this up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• LOR E1.31 and DMX.JPG
    LOR E1.31 and DMX.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 86

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
All of those components drawn are dmx or dmx compatible. If you are using less than 512 channels then you can run the whole thing off the 1 usb-dmx (usb-lor) dongle. Dmx items can be daisy chained up to 32 devices deep so unless you need to split the chain for any reason (like for different parts of your yard) or if you're going to more than 512 channels and thus require more than 1 universe then there is no need to run the 3 separate daisy chained networks as you've drawn.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The diagram appears to be wrong as you have the LOR gear coming straight out of a network switch which is used for E1.31, your DMX setup is correct.

Now i find the best way for me is to run my LOR controllers in DMX mode so I only run the 1 x E1.31 network from my computer to a ECG-DR4 for DMX and then can also have the LOR controllers connected to the DMX controllers, saves a lot in additional network cable.

For info on how to run LOR controllers in DMX then refer to this presentation.

Karob

Let there be Light!
Thanks for the replies.

As I want to split directions to 2 separate areas of the yard, I am wondering if my revised picture will be the correct set up, making crossover cables from the ECG-D2 to LOR AC boards and then another crossover cord from the LOR boards to DMX boards daisy chained from there.

Attachments

• LOR E1.31 and DMX revised.JPG
    LOR E1.31 and DMX revised.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 72

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
That looks right now. The ECG-D2 will give you 2 full universes of dmx so you'll have 1024 channels to play with. It is possibly to do a single universe split both ways like you have shown if you can access the termination resistor on the usb-dmx dongles like you can with David_AVDs usb-dmx. That's probably confusing you even more now :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The diagram now looks correct. As far as the DMX terminator, from my experience many times this isnt needed. If you see some abnormal effects then i would be adding the terminator.