LOR idiots guide for RGB strips

bullweivel

New elf
I have read several articles on RGB lights, and how all of that works.

What I do not have a clear picture of is how do you get the strip integrated into LOR?

Here is my goal:
Create several strips that will be attached to the edge of my roof where each pixel can be controlled. I want individual control over every single LED within the strips.

What I currently have is the LOR software, and a 16 port LOR controller.

I don't get what I need to make this work.

What connects to LOR? And I guess it just connects to the 16 port controller?

From LOR what connects to the strips?

Does that provide power to the strips?

By the way... did I mention I am starting this way behind schedule ;)

Also most of my parts I expect to come from Ray Wu just because I haven't heard anything bad about him, or his company so.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
What you will need to run pixels is a product from http://www.j1sys.com.

You can get the P12R which a lot use for e.g megatree or props that are in a certain area as the cables will all have to come from that board.

You could also get an ECG-P2 which is more a board that you can have several of spread over your property.

You will also need an advanced copy of LOR S3.

To hook up the j1 product its E1.31, which means that you connect a Cat5 cable from e.g P2 straight to the computer. The configuration is web-based.

The pixel strips you are likely looking for are:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ilt-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_653641294.html

This is a newish product that Ray where you can control every led.

What the LOR board will run is anything other than pixels. So you can have a +/- product (products from shops e.g fairy lights) and you can also run what is termed "dumbRGB" which are strip/strings that will change different colors, the different being the WHOLE strip or string goes the same color, no individual control.

For power you will need to get a power supply from Ray as well, it will depend on what strip you get. For example, if you get a 12v strip then you will need a 12v power supply...
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ut-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599951.html

If you havent already, have a read of the 101 manual.
https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/auschristmaslighting-101-manual.1889/

Bird

LOR user
bullweivel said:
What I currently have is the LOR software, and a 16 port LOR controller. Software will need to be LOR S3 Advanced
One way to help understand what you need is think of a CCR. CCR's come with a separate controller and a power supply. The CCR controller hooks into the extra net port on an LOR controller using a standard network cable.

What connects to LOR? And I guess it just connects to the 16 port controller? You can use a crossover net cable from the extra net port in the LOR controller.

From LOR what connects to the strips? Nothing.
A crossover net cable will go from the LOR controller to your light strip controller. The light strip controller will connect to the light strips. This carries the on/off data only, no power.

Does that provide power to the strips? No.
You need a separate power supply for the light strip. Depending on your exact plans (number of light strips, located at what distance, etc) you may need more than one power supply.

More detailed info can be found in the AusChristmasLighting Manual mentioned above and on page 62 find "LOR Controllers Running in DMX. The "here" link has more info you may want to review.

By the way... did I mention I am starting this way behind schedule ;) Yes you are, but it may still be doable. :)

Also most of my parts I expect to come from Ray Wu just because I haven't heard anything bad about him, or his company so. Ray will be your safest bet as lots of folks here are familiar with these items and the prices are fair. Good communication with vendor before ordering will save issues. See ShellNZ post above for suggested items.

And BTW
Welcome.gif

to ACL

bullweivel

New elf
From what I can tell all of the strips I have seen only come in RGB, so you can't produce white with these can you?

Bird

LOR user
bullweivel said:
From what I can tell all of the strips I have seen only come in RGB, so you can't produce white with these can you?
Logic says that red, green & bule don't equal white, but yes, all three colors at 100% will give you white.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Bird said:
bullweivel said:
Logic says that red, green & bule don't equal white, but yes, all three colors at 100% will give you white.

Well in fact it is logic, its just that we confuse our days of mixing paints which gives different results to mixing lights as paints are subtrative mixing where as lights are additive mixing. Whats the difference you ask

Subtractive mixing like in paints or using filters - This removes colours so for example a wall may appear red becuase it only reflects the red colour sprectrum back to your eyes while absorbing the other colours in the spectrum. The primary colours for this is yellow, magnetta and cyan, mixing all 3 colours will result in Black and is how our printers work. So this works by removing reflected light

Additive mixing like used in our RGB LEDs - This adds colours, so for example an LED may have blue and green mixed to get aqua as its a mix between the two colours. The primary colours for this is Red, Green and Blue and mixing all 3 colours will give you white. So this works by adding light.