LOR S3 and DMX

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I just noticed while reading through some LOR stuff on the LOR site that it is only the advanced version of S3 that has native DMX support. This doesn't present a problem if you're sticking with LOR only controllers or you're going to use the LOR iDMX but if you're thinking of using Tiger120, Ray Wu or David_AVD (Audio Visiual Devices) or other dmx devices via open dmx or compatible devices then you'd better be aware of this. i've been using the advanced version since I started with LOR so i don't know if you can select DMX channels but they won't be controlled or what will happen.

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
Do you still need to have a DMX dongal with the advance version when connecting them to one of these devices

Cheers
Jeromej

AAH

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would get a DMX pro over an open DMX dongle as the DMX pro does the DMX code on the actual dongle where as the open DMX dongle needs to process that on the computer which in turn is more overhead.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
you can also use the LOR USB dongle which will work like an Open DMX dongle.

The standard USB dongle was tested, and the Boosted USB and Isolated USB dongles may work too, as they are also Open DMX based.

The main difference with the LOR USB dongle, is it has an RJ45 jack instead of an XLR connection.

AAH

It probably should be noted here that the wiring pinouts on the different dmx adaptors vary. The open dmx may come with a cannon type connector. The AVD and LOR ones both have cat5 connectors but the pinouts vary. Check the wiki for details.

jeromej

When you say

you can also use the LOR USB dongle which will work like an Open DMX dongle.""

Are you refering to the USB485 connector they sell

Or the IDMX?

Cheers
Jerome j

jeromej

Sorry about the basic questions, but l just want to make sure that l have understood this correctly.

The USB 485 connector that LOR uses to connect to LOR controllers can be used to connect to a native DMX controller with S3, like to one in this link at Rays

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-491662850/5m-DC12V-LPD6803-digital-led-flexible-strip-with-DMX-LPD6803-controller-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing.html

I would also have to make a connecting cable from LOR cat 5 to the 3 pin DMX xlr connector as shown in Fasteddýs power point presentation and it would work?
Am l one the right track?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes it appears that the original LOR USB dongle will work as a open DMX dongle, the info is here at the LOR forums regarding this