LSP 2.5, 3.0??

twinkleclaus

New elf
Well, I'm at a point where I need to start sequencing, but find myself in the same situation as last year (waiting for v2 over v1.8, then rushing to sequence). Do I sequence with LSP v2 or wait for 2.5? I'm experiencing pains with v2 build 1630 (cut-and-paste errors, application not responding, lagging in the visualizer, etc), so was wondering if anyone has insight to v2.5 that is worth waiting for. I've converted all my lights over to RGB and pixels, so have a LOT of sequencing to do and a LOT of channels to manage (I hope I can free upgrade since I purchased the Pro version w/2 years of upgrades in Jan '12).

Also, I read mentions of LSP v3. Is there any sort of target date/features, or is it still an alpha type release?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
twinkleclaus said:
Well, I'm at a point where I need to start sequencing, but find myself in the same situation as last year (waiting for v2 over v1.8, then rushing to sequence). Do I sequence with LSP v2 or wait for 2.5? I'm experiencing pains with v2 build 1630 (cut-and-paste errors, application not responding, lagging in the visualizer, etc), so was wondering if anyone has insight to v2.5 that is worth waiting for. I've converted all my lights over to RGB and pixels, so have a LOT of sequencing to do and a LOT of channels to manage (I hope I can free upgrade since I purchased the Pro version w/2 years of upgrades in Jan '12).

Also, I read mentions of LSP v3. Is there any sort of target date/features, or is it still an alpha type release?

V2.5 is planned for a late July release, there is no current talk of a V3 at the moment (maybe next year).
The visualizer has seen some big improvements in both performance and features as well as being able to now slow down the playback down to 10% without the music pitch changing. Plus there are many more new features and improvements.

I would start sequencing with V2 so you can at least get a start as V2 sequences will easily convert to run in v2.5, so i would get the basics down now and then go back over your sequences when v2.5 is released to take advantage of some of the new features and to tidy up your sequences.

Im just curious what computer specs are you running and how many channels are you sequencing

twinkleclaus

New elf
Thanks FE! I think I'll try to wait until the 2.5 release to get started. Last year, I started sequencing with 1.8, but had frustrations when migrating to 2.0 causing me to throw in the towel and start over from scratch in v2.

My sequencing/show computer setup:
AMD Phenom II x6 3.2 GHz (6 core)
16 GB ram
GeForce 560 Ti
256 GB SSD HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
(12) e680's
(1) DMXREN8
(4) LOR & D-Light controllers (down from 16, and these will be gone next year)
(3) Ray's 27ch DMX controllers
(6) Ray's 3ch DMX controllers
(4) Arduino based 4ch DMX controllers
(4) RPM controllers (early prototypes)
Some quick LSP addition shows just over 8000 channels. If I can find some more time & $$, I'll be just under 10,000 channels.

I'm converting the d-light controllers from LOR to DMX protocol due to bad lag from LSP last year. I also got some new switches that do IGMP snooping to get over the multicast congestion I had last year.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You will see massive improvements with the visualizer in 2.5 with this many channels. One of the things to help reduce the current V2 visualizer lag is to only use the small visualizer in the corner and not use shared visualizer. Also it will perform better if you undock that window and make sure you keep that window at a small size , this will help the performance of the visualizer in V2.

But those specs should handle the task

JohnnyL

New elf
Have there been any improvments in the schedular in v2.5? last year there were a lot of issues with it. does anyone know?

kane

Dedicated elf
JohnnyL said:
Have there been any improvments in the schedular in v2.5? last year there were a lot of issues with it. does anyone know?
It's only the sequencer that has been released to Beta testers - we're yet to see any changes in the scheduler.

If I was you, I'd document the issues you had as clearly as possible, and log a bug report - that'll increase the chances of your issues being fixed.