LSP continually crashes

DougieB

Full time elf
Ok
have been on hiatus and just starting to get hack into this life consuming hobby and I have a problem

As the title says, LSP continually crashes. Does not matter if it is a new/old animated or media sequence
System
Win 8Pro 64bit
8 Core AMD FX 3.10GHz
16GB Ram
4GB GTX550Ti graphics card
2TB HD

History:New PC Nov2012 , win7. Had issues in Jan and hard drive was replaced included upgrade to Win8
Has been working until 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to current version from version 4724.5112.

I have been here before and tried every single trick from last time:

• Have checked music files and they are 44100 sampling rate, 128kbs and 16bits
  • .net V4
  • Have uninstalled and reinstalled a new download
  • Updated codecs to latest 64bit version

Attached are the last 7 log files and willing to share the windows app crash files if they are of any use
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81825384/LightShowPro_Sequencer_2013-02-16.zip

I have also posted on LSP forum

Thanks

Doug

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The log files are jibberish to me but they might mean something to the gurus.
Is there a particular sequence/file/process that is causing your crashes?
Are you rebooting at all between crashes?

DougieB

Full time elf
It is mainly on media sequences but will crash in animated sequences as well.
Media sequences can be as early as open a audio file in a new sequence or trying to open an existing sequence.

WHen I try to use a transition is the main culprit for animated sequences

NeilKellie

Be gentle we're only little!!!
I too am having similar issues just thought it was my high channel count (around 14,000) I have issues where it is just freezing up or when you go to play a sequence it just freezes and won't play, if you scrub across the graph you can see the ligths going on and off in the visualiser but no sound. I close LSP and reopen and it works until I do a bit more sequencing then same issue. I have the latest version and also have a brand new laptop with an I7 2.4ghz with 16gb of ram 1tb hard drive and 4gb gforce graphics so should be all good.??
Neil

NeilKellie

I also should of mentioned my LSP is running really slow, I do have LOTS of timing marks, transitions and blends but I'm pretty sure everyone does..?? Oh and its the only program that runs really slow on the pc and when building blends etc I have norton pop up frequently saying, high cpu load LSP is using 1 whole cpu..??
Neil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
NeilKellie said:
I also should of mentioned my LSP is running really slow, I do have LOTS of timing marks, transitions and blends but I'm pretty sure everyone does..?? Oh and its the only program that runs really slow on the pc and when building blends etc I have norton pop up frequently saying, high cpu load LSP is using 1 whole cpu..??
Neil

Here are a couple of tips when dealing with large channels using transitions and macro generation.

1: First of all i deselect all layers as you dont need to see the computer auto populate the grid, you can still apply an effect on a layer even if its not selected.

2: I also chose in the options to not use save undos for transitions and macros, this will save some time as well.

3: You can also remove unused timings (not in front of my home computer to give you the steps to do this)

4: Dont use frame rates above 15 frames/s, for some of my frames i use 10 frames/s. Remember that there are always limitation to any software, so if you are creating very large transitions spanning many channels over a long period with high frame rates then this will take a loooooong time to generate because its all about scale. the larger the slower it is.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
NeilKellie said:
I too am having similar issues just thought it was my high channel count (around 14,000) I have issues where it is just freezing up or when you go to play a sequence it just freezes and won't play, if you scrub across the graph you can see the ligths going on and off in the visualiser but no sound. I close LSP and reopen and it works until I do a bit more sequencing then same issue. I have the latest version and also have a brand new laptop with an I7 2.4ghz with 16gb of ram 1tb hard drive and 4gb gforce graphics so should be all good.??
Neil

A couple of things to try

1: Check that the music file is done at 44100 sampling rate, 128kbs and 16bits (use Audacity to check this a recode this if needed. you will also need the LAME driver to export as an MP3)

2: Also try not to have all 14k channels up in the visualizer, only work on the layers needed as there is no need to slow down the computer with it having to store and draw 14k channels in the visualizer.

3: do you use windows 64bit? 64 bit is what is required for large sequences due to the memory required for large sequences.

4: what version are you running? there was a bad link that had some people downloading a very old version of LSP.

Hope some of that works

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DougieB said:
It is mainly on media sequences but will crash in animated sequences as well.
Media sequences can be as early as open a audio file in a new sequence or trying to open an existing sequence.

WHen I try to use a transition is the main culprit for animated sequences

I have had a quick play last night and had similar issues so something that may have crept in. What is the size of the video file that you are trying to use when this crashes. I have found in the past that using video files of any decent size will crash this process. I have recoded these into a lower resolution to minimise the file size and this has worked for me.

NeilKellie

Ok here goes
I do have all layers up while sequencing only because I am still getting the hang of it all - I will try closing a few.
I have just turned off the save undo's for macros etc - see how that goes
I actually need all the timings I learned earlier on to start with a clean slate and add all my own timings as the program generated ones were not bery useful - so can't delete any unfortunatly
And yea I am using hight frame rates on transitions some are at the 30f/s mark but I need them there to give the effects i'm after.
Checked music file and yes it is at 44100hz and 128kbs so all good
Can you turn the channels off and on in the visualiser with out deleting them???
Yep running windows 7 home premium 64bit and i have increased my paging file size from 16000meg to 30000meg to try and help it along
And I am running version 2.5.4741.1656
And thanks again for all the assistance it is much appreciated!!

Neil

remoteutah

Full time elf
Try turn off some of your background processes. You mention Norton warning you of high CPU load. A cpu monitor steals a LOT of cycles!

It used to be with Windows95 that if you held down the shift key just before windows loaded, it would only load the bare minimum process and services needed (without going into Safe Mode). that used to eliminate LOTS over overhead on the cpu and memory due to the reduced set of services running. I am not sure if the newer versions of windows still do that (with the shift key), but I will look into it for ya!

LSP crashes for me a lot to while using transitions. And I am only playing with 450 channels right now! I noticed if you crate a transition and then change the # of frames... it tends to want to crash. Especially if it is a high frame rate ( <10), a complex graphic or a long effect length. I turned off the undo and pretty much save after each effect I like.

DougieB

Full time elf
OK
my issue appeared to be win8. Reinstalled win7 and all appears to be working fine. Thanks Superman for troubleshooting that one.
Next time I get a warranty repair, will not accept the free upgrade
Thanks all who helped

remoteutah

Full time elf
Not to jump in AFTER it is solved... but I went to sleep last night (actually more like 5am) think about that 30 fps setting that you are using.

I believe standard TV here in the USA is actually 24 fps and dvd are closer to 30fps. Bluray is progressive and a whole different measurement. You mentioned that you needed 30 fps to achieve the "effect" you are after. Since there is little difference between 30 fps video and 24 fps broadcast (I believe it was determined that 24 was the min for smooth movement), I would suggest setting fps to 24-26. I know it is not much difference, but 6 fps is 20% difference... which would mean 20% LESS processing power required to render.

Just something to consider...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You will have issues trying to run a large amount of channels at 30 frames a second. Use 10 to 15 max, remember this is not a TV so dont treat it like a TV with high refresh rates or else you will be wondering why you have issues getting all that data out there.

remoteutah

Full time elf
omft1000 - I know it is that now, but wasn't it 24. or am I quoting the orig spec from my college days? I am trying to find the article about 24 being the min fps for "fluid" motion.

Eddy, I personally use 5-15. I don't see much difference above that. The difference are so subtle, and when looking at all of the other leds that are on at that interval... you really don't see the difference unless you know what/where to look for it.

Now if it were less than 10 pixels on a whole strip on at any given time, I might push upward to 20-24 fps for a few seconds of effect. You would be able to see that difference there.

Hey, to each his own - lol. But I think we can all agree that high frame rates chew up lots of CPU and memory!!!

Oh those poor wasted electrons. Please send me your used or slightly worn electrons for recycling. Eddy, why won't my solar powered led lights work at night?