LSP still in business?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
beeiilll said:
Well considering that today is the 19th day since I started to try and get support help, then yes I would say that I am being quite patient about things (all things being considered).
But is is also very much in my mind as to whether to bother with this software or simply drop it and move on to another if this is what can be expected with this one!
If this was the actual season time, I would be over 1/2 way through the display month that I do with NO display! That is a very real problem that I consider from this experience.
In response to Kaden, I understand and appreciate the "need" for having activations for software as it is the only recourse available to suppliers to keep their product profitable and safe. BUT, I also know from other people I am in contact with who work in software development that it is not that big a deal to have the product activation tied to a user so that the activation code will work no matter which machine it is installed in (and yes it is also not a real big deal to have the software "count" how many times it is installed and/or on how many machines it is installed on as well), so that after the first activation it should not be required to contact the supplier to re-install your program unless you go beyond the maximum number of installations. AND this would eliminate the need for any form of a license server to worry about, just a license database of legal users for the supplier to keep track of. Of course if you get as big as Microsoft, you just install a phone verification system to allow automatic re-activation if need be!
This is not a big part of the profit or usability of the software and hence not high on the list of things that a manufacturer will want to develop but it is only a "one time" development cost in the very beginning and something that would help eliminate problems like this once in place. Perhaps since their is a very large and major re-write of LSP in the process and development, maybe this would be something to look seriously at to keep this from happening again.
I do think that the program is a good program and there are a lot of other people out there who use it who will probably stand by it as well. With the ever increasing need for RGB and pixel control, LSP is in a very good position with this rebuilding of the whole program to make a program that will become even more widely used and highly sought after by the lighting community.

But my overall problem of no one contacting me through support is still the big thorn in the side about this experience and not a good one at all. If indeed they are setting up a dedicated support site, then hopefully others will not have this problem in the future and improving the program and support is the whole reason for having forums like this and the LSP one in the first place.

Only time will tell and we shall see what the future holds.

Unfortunatly I think the timing was bad for you as it coincided with a couple of events that happened back to back.
The abscense and stepping down by Mike who did a lot to help support this and was one of the main people who issue licenses.
A big US lighting show that took Dean away from being able to manage these issues as a priority.
An unplanned issue with the licensing server.

So things do come in threes. Minleon and Lightshow Pro do apoligize for these series of events that have led us to this unfortunate situation that have left the Lightshow Pro user base down during this time. I know the above are just excuses and you have every right to be upset, all we can do is learn from the mistakes and oversights that have occured and try to do it better

kane

Dedicated elf
beeiilll said:
I understand and appreciate the "need" for having activations for software as it is the only recourse available to suppliers to keep their product profitable and safe. BUT, I also know from other people I am in contact with who work in software development that it is not that big a deal to have the product activation tied to a user so that the activation code will work no matter which machine it is installed in
Although I don't agree that you could reliably manage installations without a central server, I don't want to get into an argument about it! But one thing you mentioned was profitability - I have no idea of the number of LSP licences out there, but given the resources that have been put into LSP, I'd take a guess that the software itself was a loss-leader for Minleon.

I'm certainly not justifying the lack of support offered - to me, support is always key. Hopefully they can get things back on track and move upwards.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I have to agree with Eddy on the "Bad things come in threes in this case" and do hope that this will help implement some changes for the better along with being a learning experience for the LSP staff and others.
It is sad that it had to have all three things happen to compound an otherwise simple problem into a larger one (only for me and not for anyone else just to be clear) and may this bring new ideas and improvements to light for all.

But I do have to include along with this that if I was to not contact someone who had contacted me over 20 days ago about getting help with a problem, then I would certainly not be in business anymore because if it! That is the only real point that I am trying to make in all this.

Support is the one thing that can kill a business more than anything else (Real or perceived)!

Lets be honest here and I can say, how many people do you see now days without either a laptop, tablet, iPad, or phone in their hands? That along with the advancements in auto responders, AI software, and the general answering software out there is more than capable of making sure that no one goes for such a long time without any form of communication whether it is a promise to "look into the problem" or just "We will get back to you soon" response. The real need is to be able to let someone who has a problem know that they have at least been heard (which by the way no one has contacted me yet outside of this forum).
Hopefully you can see my point.
I am not trying to make this a big problem, just want people to be aware of it so that changes can be made for the better, which is what we all want.

Respectfully to all here and to the LSP staff as well,

Bill Ellick

Who hopes to be able to work with the program this weekend!

rmonty

New elf
Changes are being put into place to help prevent this from happening again.

If you are a 2.8 user you will have to download a new build tonight to get it installed. I will be posting the links in the forum. Also you will require a new license key which Dean should be sending very soon to those that need it.

If you are running fine with 2.8 currently, please wait to download the new version. This will allow us to process the licenses for those that need it first.

Thanks.

Ryan

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Kane said:
beeiilll said:
I understand and appreciate the "need" for having activations for software as it is the only recourse available to suppliers to keep their product profitable and safe. BUT, I also know from other people I am in contact with who work in software development that it is not that big a deal to have the product activation tied to a user so that the activation code will work no matter which machine it is installed in
Although I don't agree that you could reliably manage installations without a central server, I don't want to get into an argument about it! But one thing you mentioned was profitability - I have no idea of the number of LSP licences out there, but given the resources that have been put into LSP, I'd take a guess that the software itself was a loss-leader for Minleon.

I'm certainly not justifying the lack of support offered - to me, support is always key. Hopefully they can get things back on track and move upwards.

No argument was intended as certainly the present day forms of licensing is only possible through a central server style of format (for the most part).
I was more talking of future forms of licensing where it will actually be a part of the overall code of the program that will be written into the code when you purchase the program. I know from conversations that this is a subject of programmers who want to make software more "user friendly" as well as to make the program more of a "once you buy it, it is yours to use as you want without having to contact any one later on" which will make software easier to manage for us all.

And yes I agree that the program is more than certainly a loss-leader for Minleon. I only hope that with the re-write they can make it into a profitable one for them as well as a leader in the field of controlling lights for our displays. That will certainly be a win-win for all of us in the long run.

But yes my only real concern is with support which is the biggest winner along with the biggest pain in the butt for a company to have to deal with. It will make or break a company, program, or consumer quickly and quietly without many knowing it if not brought to attention and taken action on.

I only want this to do a positive influence and help make a good product better for us all.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
rmonty said:
Changes are being put into place to help prevent this from happening again.

If you are a 2.8 user you will have to download a new build tonight to get it installed. I will be posting the links in the forum. Also you will require a new license key which Dean should be sending very soon to those that need it.

If you are running fine with 2.8 currently, please wait to download the new version. This will allow us to process the licenses for those that need it first.

Thanks.

Ryan

I am still on 2.5 Ryan, so how do I proceed from here? I want to get it running before I upgrade to 2.8.

Bill

rmonty

New elf
You should be able to use your old license key. If you do not have it, Dean or I can send it to you.

Ryan

mmulvenna

Apprentice elf
beeiilll said:
Kane said:
I was actually going to repost this last week to see what everyone thought of this:

http://lightshowpro.com/quality-control-committee-announcements/4523-lightshowpro-re-write-project-current-status.html#post26638

I did think it was extremely optimistic of them to expect to rewrite LSP in a year... Will be interesting to see how things go.

I have reservations on purchasing another upgrade to 2.8 when I can't even get them to respond to a valid request to provide a license file for my 2.5 version that I paid for and am only trying to get installed on another computer so I can try and use the program for my display

This can only make others nervous as well if they are not supporting us. I have a lot of sequences and time involved with Light-O-Rama and making a switch to new software is not something to take lightly. I certainly don't want to find out in a few months that they have decided to drop all this and give up on the product nor do I want to make this change and not be able to get any support for it either.
It does seem like since Mike Mullvenna's "retirement" from LSP, that things have slowed up considerably for them as far as the forum posts and such.

So does anyone recommend any other software for pixel control that would not be too great of a project to convert sequences over from LOR to? I certainly can't afford something like Madrix or one of the let's say over $500 programs to do this if I can it but I need to look for alternatives I guess unless they do respond.
I know that quite a few people on this forum use LSP so that is why I posted here first to see if anyone has heard news on them or what is going on. My sequences in LOR have 256 channels to convert over and then I will have to change parts to pixels over time as I make the change from LEDs to pixels in the display and add other items.

Hopefully someone has good news on things?

I dont often get here but I am not sure why you put retirement in quotes. My leaving LSP and the Christmas Lighting Community was for the personal reasons stated in my notice to the community and had nothing to do with my relationship with LSP.

I was always on the LSP forum at least once a day and there was never any post that I am aware of regarding a 2.5 activation issue. If there had been there I would have answered it or any e-mail or PM to me immediately.

As to the activation server, it is my understanding that a new build will be created, at least for 2.8, and if you need to reactivate you may need to get a new lic key. Ryan or someone else will need to confirm that however.

Once again thanks to all for the help over the years and good luck with yours shows and whatever software you decide to use.

Best Regards
Mike

rmonty

New elf
Correction to my earlier post. We may have to make a new build for 2.5 also. I will know more this evening and will provide an update.

Ryan

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
May I suggest providing a 2.8 license to Bill in this instance as a sorry for messing up the support and to renew his confidence in the product and company?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
mmulvenna said:
beeiilll said:
It does seem like since Mike Mullvenna's "retirement" from LSP, that things have slowed up considerably for them as far as the forum posts and such.

I dont often get here but I am not sure why you put retirement in quotes. My leaving LSP and the Christmas Lighting Community was for the personal reasons stated in my notice to the community and had nothing to do with my relationship with LSP.

I was always on the LSP forum at least once a day and there was never any post that I am aware of regarding a 2.5 activation issue. If there had been there I would have answered it or any e-mail or PM to me immediately.

As to the activation server, it is my understanding that a new build will be created, at least for 2.8, and if you need to reactivate you may need to get a new lic key. Ryan or someone else will need to confirm that however.

Once again thanks to all for the help over the years and good luck with yours shows and whatever software you decide to use.

Best Regards
Mike

Sorry if that was inappropriate for you Mike. I just put it in quotes as I was not sure how else to explain your departure from the hobby or LSP and not as any form of trying to suggest any trouble or problems for you or LSP.

It was my "bad" and my apology if taken wrong as it was probably not the best way to say it.

I have had trouble with the LSP forum not allowing me to post from time to time and since I got no answer from direct emails to LSP I was also not certain if the forum was being monitored or not. Again maybe my frustration level being a bit too high or in another term we all can relate too, "I used the keyboard before using the brain"!

It seems like things are being addressed at this point by the staff at LSP so I will just wait and see at this point.

Many thanks to you as well for your help with things and I certainly hope you enjoy you time with family and friends to the maximum.

Bill

rmonty

New elf
The new 2.8 builds have now been posted in the LSP forum. If you are having trouble authenticating, please download and email support to obtain a new key. The only changes in this build are authentication. If you have a current 2.8 install that is still working, do not worry about downloading these builds at this time.

A 2.5 version is in the process of being built and will be posted soon. I will post an update here when it is uploaded.

Ryan

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Kaden said:
May I suggest providing a 2.8 license to Bill in this instance as a sorry for messing up the support and to renew his confidence in the product and company?