MAC xLights moved to App Store, xSchedule removed

Jim Dole

New elf
try to download the latest version, it won't let me. What am I doing wrong if anything? I am just starting to learn X lights and it seems so complicated. Please help. Thanks in avance.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Yes, the MAC version is now an App store purchase (free). Also, the MAC version no longer supports xSchedule if you were thinking of using that.
Not sure why it won't let you download it, unless your OS isn't the minimum version maybe?

Jim Dole

New elf
Thank you for your reply. I just updated my mac today. I will try to see if I can download it now.

dkulp

Full time elf
If you have the old version in /Applications, you have to remote it first. It cannot download a newer App Store version overtop the old non-app store version.

Xmassean

New elf
If you have the old version in /Applications, you have to remote it first. It cannot download a newer App Store version overtop the old non-app store version.
HEy Dan,
Is this the same with xschedule? Am trying to download xschedule for mac but cant seem to find it? Can you shed some light ont he matter please? TIA

Xmassean

New elf
Bummer. Will have to look into this for next years show. Is xSchedile atleast on PC for now?

Verb75

Apprentice elf
xschedule no longer exists for the Mac. The strong recommendation is to use FPP on a Pi/BBB.
Where can I download an older version of xSchedule for Mac? Surely you'll make the last version available even if you aren't supporting it anymore?

Dreamin

Full time elf
Where can I download an older version of xSchedule for Mac? Surely you'll make the last version available even if you aren't supporting it anymore?
Not necessarily, you'll end up on an old grandfathered version, with no support, and as xlights is rather progressive with updates you'll miss all the new features and patches. More forward, get and FPP set up (it's easy) and also uses less power.

Verb75

Apprentice elf
Not necessarily, you'll end up on an old grandfathered version, with no support, and as xlights is rather progressive with updates you'll miss all the new features and patches. More forward, get and FPP set up (it's easy) and also uses less power.
I'm happy to use newer versions of xLights...but I'd still like to use xSchedule, and the ability to fire up the last known version. I see all the old version of Windows versions of xLights are on the main page...why can't the Mac versions?

Katekate

Senior elf
If you want to make that argument, I don't really see the difference between that and buying a pi to run FPP. Its also a totally different platform for one piece of software.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Leaving old versions up can be a real pain for developers. Even though it may say unsupported, people continue to ask. I can totally understand why old versions would not be available, especially for free software.