MACPRO OR LAPTOP FOR SEQUENCING

Gilrock

Full time elf
I replaced the battery in my MacbookPro. It's easy these days to find instructions on opening up almost anything.

Jay.S

Full time elf
A mac PC is nothing but a Linux machine. The most beautiful Linux PC available at that. If you like brushed aluminium, get a Mac, if you like plastic get an HP and install Ubuntu.

If you insist on Windows but want a case that comes close to the beauty of Apple hardware, buy a Lenovo. If you don't care buy a Dell...

The whole "locked down" argument doesn't apply to this hobby. You aren't going to be using iTunes or the app store. You will be using a piece of free software that Apple has no control over. If you end up using a Mac for sequencing you will be limited in choice of applications to xLights (AFAIK - I am a newbie myself) but whether or not that is an actual limitation is mostly a matter of opinion.

I have written software on Unix, Linux, DOS, Windows, Android and OSX. Really, it doesn't matter.
Apple is slightly more expensive, in my experience (which is annecdotal at best) it also lasts a bit longer. That said, while I still have a Mac Mini sitting in the closet, all my PCs are Windows at the moment (except for the Pi of course).