Making lights "different"

2FREEQ

i was trying to think of ways to make some of my lights different to all the other lights. i have seen how people put the strips inside tint tubes which i think looks great. i wondering what other ideas you along these lines.
i decided to make a box out of prismatic plastic, its the stuff they use for skylights in ceilings with all the little pyrimids on it. should look alright with a few more and some sequencing.

kane

Dedicated elf
I'm all for different effects - one of the great things about ideas on here is that so many people share their unique ideas, others add to them, and you get some really interesting stuff happening - the tint tubes are a perfect example.

Looking forward to seeing what you put together with a few more!

daryl

New elf
To make our display different from others in the area... We almost all of our pixels into stars... We used two basic types.. The HolidayCoro stars for the front yard and the enclosed stars that we now sell at RGBStars.com.
It was important to us to not have just another Christmas light display. We have several fellow DIY within 20 miles and we love their shows.
We would love to see your your prismatic boxes... Lowes.com had a idea for a box light in their DIY section but we ended up not doing them because they were too spendy.
http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/Cube_Lights_0311.aspx

2FREEQ

daryl said:
We would love to see your your prismatic boxes...

Can you see the video in my first post? that box is 300mm x 300mm x 300mm. it has one RGB downlight globe sitting upside down in the base of it. multi colour string lights or similar would give a different effect.

mick8248

Full time elf
Looks great, would look good as presents with some ribbon around them under a mega tree, where do you get the plastic from?

2FREEQ

Driver said:
That looks really awesome. How is it glued together?

its glued together with metholene chloride ( i think thats what it was called ). you could use silicon but this stuff gives a nearly invisible join.

mick8248 said:
Looks great, would look good as presents with some ribbon around them under a mega tree, where do you get the plastic from?

my thoughts exactly. im considering making about 4 or 5 of these and putting them under a mega tree with ribbons to look like xmas gifts. i got the prismatic from where i work but any plastic supplies place should have it. maybe even bunnings... maybe.

drakky

Senior elf
bunnings does sell it in 3mm thickness not cheap though from memory it's about $60 for 900x600 mm