Answered Max Cat5/6 length for Hanson HE123-RJ and HE123-EX.

KHill9314

New elf
Hi all, First time posting here.

Just chasing a bit more info on the HE123-RJ and HE123-EX breakouts. Just wondering if anyone that has used these boards could tell me what the approx max run for a Cat 5/6 cable would be? Catalogue seems to say "several meters" but just chasing a rough measurement.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm curious to know the answer to this too. I'm thinking as it's just a set of passive devices, you'd be looking at a similar length to normal pixel data over twisted pair.

Hopefully @AAH can give us a 'quantified' answer :)

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Probably going to be maxing out at about 10M. The longest I've tested is about 13-14M worth of cable, and it didn't work with that, I have a 10M length of cable from controller to first pixel, and it all works fine.

KHill9314

New elf
Cheers all, might go with the differential transmitter and reciever for a bit of flexibility in the future, Cheers!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'll do some experimentation tonight if I can from my HE123 via CAT5 to 4x pixel strings (wired the same as the EX/RJ combo) and see how far I get it.

Iain

Full time elf
It also depends on the quality of the cable, which is probably why no exact answer is listed.