Mean well power supplies

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You will find that both of these power supplies will most probably not carry Australian certification, UL certification only is no good for Australia, it is C-Tick/RCM that is required for Australian use. But for the hobbiest these cheaper power supplies will serve you well for your purpose.

The NES is Meanwells cheap model and im not sure if this is still officially sold in Australia as the Meanwell distributor does not sell these anymore.

Also on ebay there are many Meanwell clones and looking at the differences between the 2 power supplies then there doesnt seem to be much at all. The meanwell seems to have more weight to it which can mean that it most probaly has better filtering.

If you really want a truely reliable power supply then the meanwell HRP 300 or 450 is the best choice but is also very pricey (the HRP stands for High Reliability Power) But reality is just using one of Rays cheap power supplies and keeping a backup will suffice for most in this hobby.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The difference is pretty much entirely in the quality. Meanwell supplies are just about the best and most reliable supplies around due to design and the fact that every one of them is burn in tested. A fair portion of ACL users are actually using supplies from Ray Wu like http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-24V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_348592454.html .
Unless you are buying from a genuine Meanwell distributor the chances are that you aren't buying a genuine Meanwell supply anyway especially if buying from Ebay, China or especially via Ebay from China.

DanJ

Full time elf
I was thinking that Meanwells would be worth some extra money just to have one less variable sitting out there ready to "get you". But Eddy makes a good point here. That is probably the best idea; just make sure you have a spare ready to go.

hamish

New elf
mmmm where would one find a Genuine Meanwell distributor in Australia ? I knew copies where an issue but there doesn't seem to be anything in particular to identify them with

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I sell the Mean Well power supplies, but generally don't keep them in stock as there are too many models. Feel free to PM or email me with model numbers.