Mean well power supply

dannyp

Full time elf
I have only been using the 350 volt 12 volt Ray WU power supplies but I just plugged in 2 of the 4 supplies and they keep blowing the house fuses, so they are obviously faulty. I have been reading that Meanwell seem to be a better quality supply even though they are more expensive. I have been on their website and I'm a bit confused about all the different types that they have. Can someone recommend which ones I should get and is there an Australian supplier that you recommend?

plasmadrive

Full time elf
DannyP said:
I have only been using the 350 volt 12 volt Ray WU power supplies but I just plugged in 2 of the 4 supplies and they keep blowing the house fuses, so they are obviously faulty. I have been reading that Meanwell seem to be a better quality supply even though they are more expensive. I have been on their website and I'm a bit confused about all the different types that they have. Can someone recommend which ones I should get and is there an Australian supplier that you recommend?
I am sure you meant 350 watt not 350 volt... right?
Actually, look at the specs, they have one hell of an inrush current. They may not be defective at all.

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
DannyP said:

I have 3 of those and i tested them the first day the arrived. First test was to keep them turned on for 24 hours with no load. Second test was to test them 30 minutes with 50% load and finally third test was 80% capacity (230 watts) for 15 minutes. It was tedious and boring and i want no surpises on december.

BTW, all of the passed the test. Just in case i`m planning to load them only with the 60% capacity.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You should test these on an individual basis on a seperate circuit first. Check to make sure that the voltage setting switch is set to 230v instead of 115v. If they work then add an extra power supply to the circuit and continue doing this until you have your total load. If they all work on an individual basis but not as a group then it can be caused by either in rush current or earth leakage. So try seperating the power supplies onto different circuits.

I personally use meanwells now days

dannyp

Full time elf
[/quote]
I am sure you meant 350 watt not 350 volt... right?
Actually, look at the specs, they have one hell of an inrush current. They may not be defective at all.
[/quote]

Yes I meant 350 Watts. Sorry.

I was plugging them in separately without any load but they kept blowing the fuse. Whats an inrush current?

In any case these 2 are at the tip and I am using some mean wells that I found which I must have ordered some time ago. I will be getting more mean wells for next year.

Thanks for the responses.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The "inrush current" is the initial surge drawn (from the mains) when power is first applied to a switch-mode power supply. It can be up to 40 Amps per power supply, but only for a very brief duration.

Fuses and circuit breakers don't respond instantaneously, so that's why your 15A or 20A fuse/breaker doesn't blow/trip even with the (brief) 40A surge.

If a single power supply is tripping a 20A breaker, I'd say it's more than likely faulty.