1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Mega Tree Center Pole

Discussion in 'Mega, Mini, Spiral & Pixel Trees' started by Madko, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Hey Guys,

Im planning on doing a 6 meter mega tree and im having problems locating where people are buying their center poles or flag poles

I would like to know what everyone is using for there mega tree center pole and where they got it from and how much? please include postage details if you can remember.

Cheers and thanks

2. ecbailey

ecbailey Full Time Elf

My (compared to others, primitive, but cheap) solution was to get some pvc non pressure (storm water) pipe (around 120mm?) and bang it into the ground a fair way. Then I got some stainless steel eyelets and screwed them into the top. I have a star which is attached to a capping piece for the pipes, for which the power cables run through the pipe and out a hole at the bottom (drilling out a small hand sized hole hasn't seemed to weaken the pipe. I only used a smaller piece (3m or so) but you can get longer pieces, or otherwise use joiners, which would make storing easy!

All of this came from Bunnings and cost less then $30. It very sturdily stood up in the ground for 3.5 months and didn't wiggle as because the bottom was hollow, the soil went up into it, as well as around it.

3. Beacy

Beacy It's so much better on the dark side

speaking from experience do NOT use the ebay flag poles they work at 5mt but not much more, after my experience last year I'm going to use gal steel fence posts like they use around sports ovals

4. Superman

Superman I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious Global Moderator

Find Me On:
    I am one that gets away with a 5m flag pole from deals direct. I use 3 stays attached 3/4 the way up down to huge sand tent pegs. it managed to survive our summer storms in QLD but wouldn't want to see it in the 100km winds Beacy had. the pole is only 4.5 meter high so I bought 2 of them to add an extra section and have some spares.

5. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Im one that used a 6 metre ebay flag pole that learnt the hard way. My pole collapsed in strong winds 4 days from show time.
    I instead now use a 6.2 metre 50MM OD Gal pole i bought from the local steel supplier i found in the yellow pages for a cost of $65. So let your fingers do the walking and search around for any local steel suppliers as prices can vary.
    Nothing is going to bring this tree down now.

6. ԆцряєсϮ

ԆцряєсϮ Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    I'll be using 2" gal pipe for mine. If I haven't "acquired" any by about June or July I'll prolly have to by some.
    Its around $30 - $40 for a 6mt length.

7. aussiexmas

aussiexmas Sinnamon Lights

I used 100mm PVC sewerage pipe (from any hardware) sitting on a board on the ground and guyed at top and midway. The bottom sits on a board to stop pole sinking further into the ground during wet periods. The standard PVC pipe length is 6m, but I extended my pole length to ~7.2m. Because of my yard layout, my lights start about 2m above ground from a support ring.

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Here in Castle Hill NSW, we have this company that do all tv antennas and supply's. I found this pole and was wondering this should be sufficient if they are using then for antennas.

http://www.bitek.com.au/index.php?option=com_icommerce&Itemid=&page=product&prod_id=426&return=option%3Dcom_icommerce%26page%3Dcategories%26cat_id%3D25%26return%3Doption%253Dcom_icommerce%2526Itemid%253D2%2526page%253Dcategories%2526cat_id%253D22%2526return%253Doption%25253Dcom_icommerce%252526Itemid%25253D2%26p%3D1
    [/size]
    [/size]

9. Habbosrus

Habbosrus New house (again) 2017

Find Me On:
    If you use that, make sure you have plenty of support. It's only 1"1/2 x 1.5mm wall thickness. I haven't made a mega tree before but I think that is a little light. Maybe look at some 2" (50mm) nominal bore pipe with at least 2mm wall thickness.

10. Jim

Jim New Elf

11. tuppetsdad

tuppetsdad Funding & Tech Support

Now there is a nice idea....well done Jim ....you would not be from Jim's antenna's would you???

12. Jim

Jim New Elf

I wish.............actually need my antenna at home replaced and rewired etc etc

13. Gray_magic

Gray_magic The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!

Find Me On:
    I just finished a trial run on the pole i intend to use.. I wanted to see the scale in the yard as i find it hard to visualise. I live in Brisbane and i have seen Geoff and his tree in action. it seems to hold up well so I have decided to go with a similar set up. mine will be 6.5m high with the star so getting the pixels to the top seemed like a bit of challenge, so like Geoff i am using some I bolts with pull cord to get them there. should make it easier to look at if i have to take sections down again. it is also good on cost. i spent less than $100 to build it.. everything but the lights, PS and controller.

14. dpavisic

dpavisic Full Time Elf

I also use galvanised pipe 32mm in size. I bought a plastic insert for a hills hoist (about $35) and concreted this into the ground. Now I just drop the pipe into the hills hoist housing. Easy to put up and pull down.

15. Gray_magic

Gray_magic The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!

Find Me On:
    Well the tree is up and we had some medium gusts come through today. I added more guys to my mast. I am seriously going to freak out the first storm I see come through.