Mega Tree Center Pole

924aussie

Full time elf
DannyP said:
I also use galvanised pipe 32mm in size. I bought a plastic insert for a hills hoist (about $35) and concreted this into the ground. Now I just drop the pipe into the hills hoist housing. Easy to put up and pull down.

Talking of hills hoist , has anyone used a rotary hills hoist ,the pole bit with the winder on it. ?

If you just take all the arms off you would have an adjustable pole small I know I think about 6 foot high but maybe another section could be added on top

DanJ

Full time elf
Has anyone ever tried a fiberglass pole? I see a 15' "wonder pole" on ebay that appears to be pretty substantial. Thinking about next year's pixel tree...

Trafficman

Teach Me!!!
Many places around here have small towers still standing and will give them away if you take them down. My mega tree is 35 feet tall and was free. I set three pipes in the ground in steel conduit while standing the tower we drilled the holes and used safety pins to secure it to the base. Down guy's at the top and bottom and 64 super strings attached to mules tape so I can lower any sting when needed for repairs.
Another family had a 30 foot tower they gave to us if we took it down. It now has been installed the same way but only 24 feet of it and now its my spiral tree. Works and looks great and we stood this one by hand.
My 24 foot pixel tree is a steel pipe I saw a contractor removing that has several sections that slide into each other with bolt holes. The base is a bigger square with bolt holes mounted in concrete. I have posted several pictures of the foundation and topper for this tree and its solid as a rock.
The mega tree was installed with a bucket truck and its a stronger tower than the spiral tree. With everything I have installed its has turned out to be a great show this year.
Jeff

Gray_magic

The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!
Hey guys,
My tree got a real test last weekend with 100km winds. I had 8 guys total, 4 middle and 4 at the top. We nearly lost the tree and I found myself out in the storm holding an additional rope trying to keep it up. The picture Geoff posted earlier in this thread is exactly what my tree looked like through all the wind. Luckily I managed to keep it upright with the help of the wife.
If your Thinking of the cheap flag poles for 5m+ tree think again.. If I had a cheap ebay steel flag pole it would have bent or kinked and I would have had to find a way to bend it back. I was lucky that the 100mm down pipe had some give but it wouldn't have taken much more. I have since added an additional guy to the top of the tree and I believe it would now take another storm like last week. This should do me out for this year but I think I may go with a gal fence post next year. My advice would be if you don't want to weather the storm holding your tree up, would be to spend the money and do it right the first time. I was lucky this time but others may not be as dedicated or crazy to sit through a category 1 storm and hold a rope.
Hope my experience may help others who are planning 5m+ trees in their display.