Mega Tree Flicker & hanging – Xlights & Pixlite 16

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Run into an annoying issue that some suggestions would be appreciated[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]
I have 2 mega trees and one half of one tree gets a flicker and tends to lag and momentarily get hang.
The set up is
Each tree has 2801 pixel nodes strings of 100 –(50 up & 50 down) power going in both ends
The control is split in half 12 x strings out of each Pixlite controller separate 5v PSU to each bank of 8 - PSU’s have earths linked an each imput of power to controller has doubled up Fig8 wires – distance from PSU to board – 1 mt Controller to string 2 mt.
Have tried switching to different Pixlite Controller – no difference.

Have changed cat 5 cable – no difference
What stumps me is all other PSU’s & controllers are set up identical and there are no issues like this.

Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated

grungle25

Apprentice elf
Had a similar issue with some 2811 12V node candy canes that was fixed with a null pixel. Had the same pixel nodes in my stars with the same size cable etc. Stars were fine but candy canes flickered and went crazy. Have no experience with 2801 though....

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Beacy,
some thoughts, if it is only one half of one tree and both trees ( 4 halves) are wired the same, and swapping controllers doesn't work, then it would appear that the problem is with the wiring of the half in question? poor join? wrong connection perhaps?
I have a flicker in my tree, but closer inspection showed that it was always at the same point in the song, I think it is an artefact of the rendering process.....or my lack of sequencing abilities. could this be the case for you as well?

another thought could it be a sick power supply that can't supply full power when needed? ( i had a 50A PS that would only do 36A)

Cheers
Fing

Jimbo

Full time elf
Had a similar issue.

Turned out my length of the wire for the data to the first pixel was to long.

I re-made with co axel cable with minimum length and it fixed it

Babybear

New elf
I also had the same issue I pulled the data lines and ran separate wires just for them. I had some bad wires the were getting corrupted from the power in the dampness of the ground.