Mega tree - thoughts on centre pole

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I'm retiring my current mega tree and going for a spiral tree this year (hopefully). Previously I used a netball goal post (with the hoop lopped off) over a star picket which worked effectively, but it's not tall enough for the revamp.

I had looked at flag poles, but at 6m for what's called the "standard pole", that's too high for my liking. (Some one will go "pft, too high?"). I was thinking maybe poly pipe 4m/3.5m high and 10cm+ diameter might work - but is it strong enough? I know that a whole bunch of lights can be deceptively heavy, plus added pull of any guy wires.

So what does every use? What height do you find works best for you or works best for the material the pole's made of?

mrpackethead

Full time elf
6m, because its a standard length.. i use thick wall 50mm alluminum scaffolding grade tube.. the thin wall stuff is not quite strong enough.. You could use steel pipe its cheaper and would be strong enough, but its much heaveir and being steel you'll need to worry about rust..

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Don't know what kind of scrap yards are around you, I use old fence post poles used in chain link. I acquired some 20' lengths of 3" diameter pole used in back stops and goal post. Works real nice, with little guild wires needed.

kool-lites

Full time elf
This is what I am intending to do:
5m long 50mm diameter with 5mm wall Alum ( 100% complete)
Racket Pulley with two draw wires. ( 90% complete)
I am using "portable Hole" to minimise the affect on the garden (20% complete - Design finished, acquiring parts)
My "portable Hole" is not the usually boxed concrete. Details will be published when complete.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
While it might seem obvious - it does pay to ask around . . . . As I previously mentioned, I asked my Dad if he had any thoughts on a flagpole length pole for my mega tree. He's a groundskeeper at a local primary school so he said "You can have the flag pole from school. They're building a new hall (as part of that whole throw money at schools grant thing) and the flag pole's being replaced." He's going to double check, but pretty sure I've got my megatree pole.

So there's a top tip - a local school may have something especially if they're still spending their grant money. :)

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Ha! Don't know - the old man's like MacGyver, so he'll figure something. I do want to lob about 1-2 m off it because it's too high, but all going well, won't cost anything. :)

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ingrid

I have checked on Google Earth and that pole is just far to big for your place, I would be happy to take it off your hands, can you just tie it onto the roof of the hummer and deliver to my place please. :)

Cheers
Phil

klanger

New elf
toodle_pipsky said:
While it might seem obvious - it does pay to ask around . . . . As I previously mentioned, I asked my Dad if he had any thoughts on a flagpole length pole for my mega tree. He's a groundskeeper at a local primary school so he said "You can have the flag pole from school. They're building a new hall (as part of that whole throw money at schools grant thing) and the flag pole's being replaced." He's going to double check, but pretty sure I've got my megatree pole.

So there's a top tip - a local school may have something especially if they're still spending their grant money. :)

Sounds like the only good thing from the "rort the govt" program, well done