Mega Tree with Strips

I have been struggling with getting the channel image (matrix) to work with my 12 - 150 pixel ws2811 strips. I have 12 strips each one is set with it's own controller. So 12 controllers each with 150 RGB pixels. I build the image nothing shows up and the visualizer window turns grey. I have a video of what I have tried, I can send it to anyone that wants to help.
Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Lee

kane

Dedicated elf
Lee_N_the_NorthWest said:
I have been struggling with getting the channel image (matrix) to work with my 12 - 150 pixel ws2811 strips. I have 12 strips each one is set with it's own controller. So 12 controllers each with 150 RGB pixels. I build the image nothing shows up and the visualizer window turns grey. I have a video of what I have tried, I can send it to anyone that wants to help.
Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Lee

Maybe post up the video on dropbox or vimeo and people can have a look. And perhaps upload the sequence as well, so people can load it up to see if the same thing happens.

I wouldn't use a controller for each strip - I'd just use one controller for all 12 (but this won't cause the issue you're seeing)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It may be a LSP virtual controller rather than an actual controller.

kane

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the quick response. here is the video avi https://www.dropbox.com/s/mza1utr90pobyjq/Mega_tree_matrix.avi

Seems to be the visualiser struggling - what sort of spec is the PC? Depending on the spec of the PC, you may need to play with the settings from within LSP..

I'd disable the shared visualiser, and I usually drag the "display preview" visualiser over into a separate window - not sure if that would make a difference though.

kane

Dedicated elf

If I load up the sequence, and leave "shared visualiser" enabled, I get the same result as you - the normal visualiser gets the gray overlay.. But if I disable the shared one, this goes away. (it may be something to do with the resolution of your photo - I do recall seeing something about a recommended size?)

But nothing is coming up on the visualiser when the channels are being lit up - I'll have a bit more of a look at it and see if I can find what the issue is

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
ensure inside sequencer , under the VISUALS menu, you have "Playback Virtualizer selected.

If it is not selected, you will not see any output to your virtualiser or visualiser

kane

Dedicated elf
It seems as though the channel images are not being created properly

Looking into the actual file (unzipped, and looking at the XML), if I compare the data for one of the channels, I can see that channel image information is actually being put into the file, but it doesn't look correct. If you check out the XML below, the first one is the one that is generated when I draw the matrix, the second one is the one that was in there from when you did it. You can see the height attribute for the rectangle is "0" for yours, and "1" for mine.. (ignore the width, x and y)

Code:
<object Type='LightShowProSequencer.Graphics.DrawBulb'>
<Color>-2130706433</Color>
<PenWidth>1</PenWidth>
<Group>5c484eae-fc76-4c00-8ffe-2cbf009e2a12</Group>
<Background>False</Background>
<rectangle x='290' y='311' width='7' height='1'/>
</object>

<object Type='LightShowProSequencer.Graphics.DrawBulb'>
<Color>-2130771968</Color>
<PenWidth>1</PenWidth>
<Group>cffa2c30-6cbc-46af-9a87-70145bc11780</Group>
<Background>False</Background>
<rectangle x='353' y='278' width='4' height='0'/>
</object>

Basically, after you draw images, you should see faint grey lines where you've drawn it (so at around 1:03 in your video, once you click OK, you should see them) They'll look like this screenshot here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33158080/LSP_TreeTestLee.JPG

I am however, using a newer (beta) version of LSP, so it's certainly possible that there was a bug in an earlier version that has been fixed since.. As a test, are you able to try drawing a different size tree (eg 50 x 36), or using one of the other wiring configurations (eg up,down,up instead of up,up,up)

kane

Dedicated elf
Hang on, on further investigation, I'm able to reproduce your issue - if I make the whole tree quite small (for example, only about two-thirds of the height of your car, as opposed to the full height from the street to above your roof), then nothing is visible.

My guess is that it's simply a rounding issue. If you've drawn the tree to be 70 pixels high, and it then attempts to draw 150 channels within those 70 pixels, meaning that each channel only has 0.47 pixels of space, which would be rounded down to zero pixels...

So to me, this looks like a bug in LSP - I will lodge this on the LSP forums.

In the meantime, are you able to draw your tree to be larger? As I can't see this being a massively high priority to fix.

kane

Dedicated elf
Oh, and just noticed that the issue with the grey box seems to be a bug that has already been reported - essentially if there are no lights to light up, the visualiser goes a bit funny. So if you have some valid channel images, this part of the issue should go away!