Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2020 - June 13-14 - CANCELLED

Event details

Event date
Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 Sunday, Jun 14, 2020
Registration deadline
Thursday, Apr 9, 2020
Maximum guests
Username Guest count Note
djgra79 djgra79 1 Spoiler content hidden.
burnt burnt 1 Spoiler content hidden.
tuppetsdad tuppetsdad 1 Spoiler content hidden.
S ShaneM 1 Spoiler content hidden.
abundy abundy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
L leighf 1 Spoiler content hidden.
AAH AAH 1 Spoiler content hidden.
vk3heg vk3heg 1 Spoiler content hidden.
cdjazman cdjazman 1 Spoiler content hidden.
damona damona 1 Spoiler content hidden.
M mccar 2 Spoiler content hidden.
A andma 1 Spoiler content hidden.
buzzdude buzzdude 1 Spoiler content hidden.
roy roy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Katekate Katekate 1
Eizziljam Eizziljam 2 Spoiler content hidden.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
April 2020 update: Please note due to current restrictions on gatherings and the interest of public health & safety, the Melbourne mini will not be held in June as originally planned.
However should circumstances change we may look to host a new event later in the year where possible. Stay tuned to this page for future updates.

The 2020 Melbourne Mini now has a venue so is officially going ahead! A huge thanks to @tuppetsdad for offering his workplace as the venue, the community greatly appreciates your assistance.

Please register your details above to confirm your attendance across either or both days, including any +1's you may be bringing along for seating & catering purposes.
We also ask for your real first name, for nametag purposes.

Dates: Saturday June 13th & Sunday June 14th
Times: TBC
Cost: TBC

More details will follow so keep an eye on this thread.
As always, we welcome any sponsors or donations of prizes for our guests, to help support our newcomers, as well as help promote business within the community. If you can help in this space, please get in contact.
Same goes for sharing your experiences, we'd love to see some new faces sharing their ideas, tips, tricks around any topic of the hobby. Any level of experience is welcome - remember, this is YOUR mini!!

Cheers, Graham (DJ)

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'll try to organise some cosmetic surgery so that I'll be sporting a new face for this years mini :D
I'll bring all sorts of goodies with me including my little display board thingy. Anyone who wants to will be able to program pixels, P10's, dumb rgb and everyone's favourite lights the 2 channel fairy lights.
Thanks yet again Bruce/ @tuppetsdad for hosting us.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
No probs AAH. Have Started topic in Wiki section for Minis with info on facilities etc Everybody please add ideas and suggestions!

badger4543

Full time elf
Hey quick question????

How much can/does a newbie get out of a mini? Will most of it just go straight over my head? I'm abit of a visual/hands on learner where I tend to learn more from tinkering and experimenting at my own pace.

If I were to sit through a mini without having setup/tinkered with a setup would I actually understand what's being said?

Any one else been in a similar boat with similar learning capabilities? Haha

I'm not planning a huge show just outlines, a few arches, spiral trees and floods(probably will just use 4-6 bought rgb sequences for my first year) not sure if making sequences will be my thing..

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
@badger4543 there will be different levels of experience in attendance, so you will be able to leverage from that experience.
The best part of a mini (imo) is getting to ask the questions live and get the answers straight away. PLus being able to see some props and hardware, lights etc in person and asking about them then and there.
Yes some may go over your head, but we are all here to help each other so dont feel like it is beyond you. This is one of the best online community groups I have ever seen, the level of patience everyone has for new and old members is amazing.
We could always break off into beginner and advanced groups if needed for those who dont want/need to cover off basics.

bpratt

Senior elf
There will be a bit that goes right over your head, but you will generally find something that you weren't so sure about, finally make sense when you see it in real life.

My first year was last year, and went to the Qld mini and learnt heaps.

If you can get to one, make sure you do.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Well that's all folks Melbourne mini like the others cannot go ahead now. Online mini would be good. Otherwise I am thinking Christmas in July could cheer some people up!

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
April 2020 update: Please note due to current restrictions on gatherings and the interest of public health & safety, the Melbourne mini will not be held in June as originally planned.
However should circumstances change we may look to host a new event later in the year where possible. Stay tuned to this page for future updates.

Of course don't forget that there will be a online Mini for ALL Aus/NZ members to join via Zoom on the Easter weekend, further details on the below thread, hope to see you online!