Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2021 - CANCELLED

Event details

Event date
Saturday, Jul 17, 2021 Saturday, Jul 17, 2021
Registration deadline
Thursday, Jul 15, 2021
Maximum guests
Username Guest count Note
djgra79 djgra79 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Kotche Kotche 1 Spoiler content hidden.
C Croydon Lights 1 Spoiler content hidden.
thewanderingpine thewanderingpine 1 Spoiler content hidden.
abundy abundy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
B Brett Greenland 2 Spoiler content hidden.
C christophe 1 Spoiler content hidden.
M mikey 2
B Brendan22 1
andrewa andrewa 1
cdjazman cdjazman 1

Jandrews755

New elf
Is this still happening there doesn't seem to be much info on what will be happening on the day. Thanks

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yes still happening, but will be far less structured than Syd if you happened to tune in over this weekend, so please lower your expectations :)
More details to be posted here over the next week.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I was just reminded of a great topic starter that we've done in previous minis.
We can bring up online videos or photos of your displays and you can talk us through what's new, what didn't quite work out, or how you did it!
So, those that are attending and would like to share, please let us know below with a link to a video or photos of your display that we can reference on the day.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Yes still happening, but will be far less structured than Syd if you happened to tune in over this weekend, so please lower your expectations :)
More details to be posted here over the next week.
But I think any group get together will be a help, especially those new, or looking into new areas for their display. I have been to a lot of mini's and even now I think I take something away from each and every one.

Have fun to all those going, and don't forget there are no stupid questions, and if you don't want to ask in front of the group, go ask someone 1 on 1 as almost every member is willing to help in whatever way they can.

bpratt

Senior elf
Have fun to all those going, and don't forget there are no stupid questions, and if you don't want to ask in front of the group, go ask someone 1 on 1 as almost every member is willing to help in whatever way they can.

This is the thing, there are always those little questions that you might feel that you're a bit of a goose of something, that aren't really dumb questions at all. As mentioned, asking someone face to face whilst there is some gear around can really make the difference to understanding something that gets talked about in these forums or on facebook.

So worthwhile to go, and I'm still picking up on good ideas and suggestions from others.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Looks like we’re in the same sort of waiting game that Sydney was in the lead-up to their mini. Hopefully it can still go ahead.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Well 24 hours later and things certainly did change as somewhat expected!
Given the lockdown we now may have the venue in jeopardy as the College may need to reschedule their own events.
We'll know more early next week so hold tight whilst we get confirmation of this.
Worst case the venue is unavailable on this date and we need to postpone.
Best case all is well, lockdown ends as expected and gathering limits increase and we can run as planned.
Stay safe, stay home, and stay tuned. #lockdownV4

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
1/6/21 update - Given the current VIC state lockdown and no current signs of life returning to "normal" by the weekend, we have decided to postpone the Melbourne Mini until further notice. Once a clearer path to normality emerges and we can confirm venue availability again, we will update you all with a new date, hopefully not to far away. Please keep safe and keep following this thread for updates as they come to hand.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
What do we think the chances of this happening this year are? Do you think we'll be able to sneak it in before we wind up in another lockdown?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Hopefully we can secure a venue (still following up availbility) but also once we have reasonable indoor gathering conditions thanks to Covid resctrictions. Not sure about others but I'd prefer to attend if I didn't have to wear a mask indoors.

Reactions: AAH

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Quick update, we can get the same venue (Sandringham College Theatre) in 2 weekend's time on Saturday 17th July. Unsure when we can secure the same venue in the future, at this stage.
However given the current VIC Gov Covid guidelines, masks are still mandatory indoors, will this put people off attending?
We will also only run 1 single room but will be sure to cater to all levels of experience, be it a complete n00b looking to ask some entry-level questions, or a seasoned pro looking to expand their knowledge base - all are welcome :)

I have adjusted the original post and reset the RSVPs so please re-confirm if you are willing to attend the event on 17th July.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
I’ll be hoping the indoor mask mandate will be rescinded next week. We shall see.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm out for that weekend and the 1 after :(