mini 3ch RGB controllers

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
That would depend on the voltage,

24 volts and you require a 3 channel
12 volts and you require 6 channel

because remeber you need to add the voltages up as well for the LEDs in a circuit

if you were running the LEDs individually you would then use 5 volt.

It all goes down to circuit design and the voltage you want to run in

sjim

New elf
I'd definitely use 12v, but, could see using 24v if daisy chaining eventually. how about these off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-3W-RGB-LED-Driver-Transformer-DC12V-24V-for-3W-RGB-LED-Light-/370743785626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56520d389a

use 1 per RGB star so I'd get 6, I remember seeing these a while back, man the price dropped in half. I'd
still need a dmx module, ... would need to handle 1050a*6=6300, 6.5amp max, so, hook up would be 12v power supply -> dmx board -> Led Driver as seen in link above --does this sound right?

Ken Benedict

New elf
I have several of those mini-controllers you mention and their rated power dissipation of 144 watts is not quite achievable; they run very warm, almost hot, when running a single RGB strip 16 feet long. And that's only about 3-4 amps total load.
They could probably run at 3 amps per channel but you'll need to use a stopwatch to see how long of a lifetime it would have.
Others who have been there and done that have their experiences to share. They have good advice.

In order to draw more current, you'd need an RGB amplifier that would boost the power capability.

sjim

New elf
Thanks for the heads up on those, can't trust any of these specs !

I noticed some of the 3w RGB only list max at 350ma, whiles other will have 350ma-1000ma, why would this be? The only way it could reach 1000ma if is all three chips sets are on blending, is this correct, where as the others can only show single color at a time?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
sjim said:
Thanks for the heads up on those, can't trust any of these specs !

I noticed some of the 3w RGB only list max at 350ma, whiles other will have 350ma-1000ma, why would this be? The only way it could reach 1000ma if is all three chips sets are on blending, is this correct, where as the others can only show single color at a time?

It is 350 mA per colour for RGB

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As an aside, the current (350mA or 0.35A in this case) is derived from the wattage (1W in this case) divided by the forward voltage (nominally 3V) of the LED. That's why you see 350mA specs for 1W LEDs and 1000mA for 3W LEDs.

A 3W RGB LED will be 3 x 1W LEDs effectively (3 colours x 1W each).

The forward voltage does vary depending on the colour. That's why I recommend a constant current driver for higher powered LEDs. Driving them with a constant voltage driver and resistor usually doesn't end well.

sjim

New elf
Yes, I understand those specs, but, do all 3w RGB 4pin function the same? if the seller list max=350ma and another seller has what appears to be the same start but listed as 350ma-1000ma...are these the same and it's simply an omission by the seller, or, does the physical design of the RGB differ? I'm try to find out if it's an omission and they should function the same, or, if the 350ma can only display 1 color at a time, where the 350ma-1000ma is capable of illuminating all 3 led chip at same time....

sjim

New elf
it actually looks like an omission from the seller, I found an identical RBG on dealextreme with this explanation (self evident, but stated clearly)...

Note: each color channel is able to take a maximum of 350mA of current, thus a 1050mA combined current input and the 3W rating.
[/size]
[/size]if forward max voltage was actually only 350ma, it would be listed as 1watt rating RGB... so I'm assuming all these 3w RGB stars are actually 1000ma

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
sjim said:
it actually looks like an omission from the seller, I found an identical RBG on dealextreme with this explanation (self evident, but stated clearly)...

Note: each color channel is able to take a maximum of 350mA of current, thus a 1050mA combined current input and the 3W rating.

if forward max voltage was actually only 350ma, it would be listed as 1watt rating RGB... so I'm assuming all these 3w RGB stars are actually 1000ma

Yes the total is 1050mA, but the individual colours are 350mA. An RGB LED is just 3 seperate LEDs that are contained within the same package, there are 3 seperate circuits of 350mA for an RGB LED. So its not an ommision by the vendor because it states 350mA and its RGB, some vendors choose to say what the total RGB current is as well.

You may want something like this
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IP68-AC180-265V-RGB-constant-current-driver-3W-RGB-6W-RGB-9W-RGB-12W-RGB/701799_459205951.html

sjim

New elf
ah, I'm learning and determined...Thankyou all for being so helpful !

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
sjim said:
if forward max voltage was actually only 350ma, it would be listed as 1watt rating RGB... so I'm assuming all these 3w RGB stars are actually 1000ma

I think you'll find that most "3W RGB LED" are 1W of red, 1W of green and 1W of blue (3W total). That's a pretty standard way of specifying it.

The 10W RGB LEDs are approx 3W of each colour. When I've looked at the detailed specs on some it worked out to 9W but they still claim 10W.

sjim

New elf
Yes, I can't thank Eddy enough... great support! I want to build my own drivers for these using NPN resistors, Mosfets are a few of the buzz words I've been hearing. I'll post back my experiences, the prices dropped on the 3W RGBSs and Tech hardware is getting better so I know I can make these for 1/4 of the price...

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
wow, reading this thread made me realise that I have alot to learn about this hobby.

Great responses guys, i learnt a fair bit from that just then.