MJ Steps

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Was asked if I could share my pixel steps that I made for this year. I call them my MJ Steps, Michael Jackson steps :)

Supplies:
Acrylic perspex (10mm thick white on top and sides and 6mm thick black for bottom)
Weld-on-16
WS2811 12v 60led/20px per metre
2 x 12v 360W PSU's

I have 45x45mm pavers at the front of my house. I wanted to put pixel light steps on them. I wanted them tough enough that they could withstand them being walked on.

IMG_28561_zpsmgulrp6g.jpg

This is the tops
IMG_28611_zpseib9arg8.jpg

The bottoms

IMG_28601_zpsrrpkjpob.jpg

Bottom with strip on and wiring (wired up like a matrix)
IMG_2884_zpssqvphjgn.jpg

Hole in the side for wiring
IMG_2882_zpsy7tcfc9j.jpg

Completed step
IMG_28621_zpsyaonqcpq.jpg

9 steps all done
IMG_29031_zpslz9uzvna.jpg

As I had a spare Pix4 I decided to use this. I would have been easier to use a Pix16 but couldnt justify the cost when I had a Pix4 sitting there doing nothing. So first 4 steps are on one output, next 5 steps are on another output. So still have 2 outputs spare on the Pix4 :) Using 2 x 12v 360W power supplies.

Video of them running - http://vid126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/Toby3_photo/Xmas%20lighting/MJ%20steps/IMG_2910_zpsebzmp8vb.mp4

They should be able to take at least 100kg the perspex man said :) I'll will probably put something in front of the first step so people dont actually walk on them but just incase, they will be able to take the weight.

Power is injected at start of each step and at the end. Each step has 120px.

The top goes on top of the bottom so that there is actually 2 walls of perspex making it pretty darned waterproof given the walls on the bottom are cemented down. The top will just be siliconed down just incase I have a hiccup I can cut it open if need be :)

Karob

Let there be Light!
Fantastic Shell

I too cant wait to see them in the display, along with the masses of people you attract.

Thank you for sharing, only wish I had such great ideas and workmanship as yourself.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
At first I was going to comment on the number of lights in each one (seemed a bit much), then I saw the great effects on each panel. Now I want to know just how many you did put in each.

Looks great!

arw01

Full time elf
WOW SHELL, that is what I call "really out of the box thinking!" :eek:

Those will be a big hit and no cables snaking all over the yard.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nicely done Shell, you will have to keep an eye on some of those 150KG + Mouris to ensure they dont step on them :D
But very clean looking, I look forward to seeing these in action in your show