Modify your 8 function controller to have a memory

damo1271

Full time elf
I need to take some photos and get info from my head onto the screen.
I will document it over the next few days (weeks?) as I do a few conversions and then post it. The process is straightforward. I will also convert a few different colours and put in the values to use as a guide, since each colour will be a bit different!
For me I got the strings cheaper than I could buy individual LEDs (even in bulk) so converting them is relatively cost effective, and I can fix the not working bits as I go. Aside from anything else my main aim is to get rid of the 240V from my display.

penguineer

Full time elf
Hmmmmm......I might have to do this......

My "competition" up the road is a static display using standard Bunnings strings - they spend time each night trying to get the lights flashing the same.....

I'm assuming the way this works is that the standard capacitor supplies power to the IC to remember what to do during normal operation and the larger cap just provides a longer discharge time......

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
penguineer said:
I'm assuming the way this works is that the standard capacitor supplies power to the IC to remember what to do during normal operation and the larger cap just provides a longer discharge time......

Pretty much. There's a practical limit to this method though and the self leakage of the capacitor plays a part too.

drakky

Senior elf
thanks for the info Mike been wondering how to cure alzhiemers on these lights :)