Mort Bay connectable leds

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yeah, I saw the "One Way Number Reveal" and thought WTF ?

Mine came with a separate IEC power lead, so you should be able to use a spare computer one if it arrives with the wrong plug end.

As for the 220V vs 240V, I'm not convinced they are really different models. They may just label the power transformer as required. Mine does say 240V on it for what it's worth.

Daemon

Apprentice elf
Bought one the same as yours David.

I saw AussiePhil state in that other testing post that he preferred to set 20 ma across each series.

EDIT. I know more about electricity than the question I asked before.
I just multiply the leds by 20 ma, in my case 120 bulbs x 20ma = 2A so would I set the dc Power supply to 2A and then dial up the voltage would that be a good way to determine the voltage?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
No, it doesn't work that way at all. Sorry.

The LED string will be constructed of several series segments. Each one of those will need 20mA nominally.

So, you'll need to determine how many segments are in your overall string first. Once you know that, we can work on the finer details.

Hang off hooking more strings up to a power supply, lest you end up with another smoking mess! ;)

Daemon

Apprentice elf
Lol. That's what I wrote at first but I read something on the internet that suggested I was incorrect.

They are in series of 15, every 15 bulbs there is only 2 wires. 8 x 15 = 120 leds and they are 120 led sets.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
OK, so 20mA per series string x 8 strings = 160mA max current for the whole string.

As for what you read on the Internet, ignore it all - except for this of course! LOL

Daemon

Apprentice elf
Will do. From now on I will ignore everything except what I read on Christmas forums.

So was the functionality I guessed at correct? You can set the power supply to 160 mA and then dial up the voltage until the correct amount required?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Daemon said:
So was the functionality I guessed at correct? You can set the power supply to 160 mA and then dial up the voltage until the correct amount required?

I guess that's one way to do it. Read the instructions that come with the power supply about how to set the current limit. The LED string voltage will be whatever the Volts meter reads as the power supply crosses over from CV (constant voltage) to CC (constant current) state. It has LEDs to indicate what state it's currently in.