Mounting Controllers In Enclosure

sick xmas

New elf
Just when I think I have everything I need to start constructing my display something new comes up. I have some CG-1500's for my power supplies and controllers however I am not sure how I should mount the controllers. I'm concerned I may bend, crack, damage my cards without the proper support or short out the board by using conductive material. It seems that using Nylon mounting posts is the best practice although not sure what or where to order these from. To expedite the construction process I would like to go to a local store and find some alternative.

What can be used to space/support the card from CG-1500 mounting posts? Can metal screws be used safely for mounting? If anyone has some good tips it would be much appreciated. :p

sick xmas

New elf
Bird, that's a terrific idea. Yes I do have access to old PC's so I will just use that hardware.

thanks

sick xmas

New elf
Well I took apart a PC and laptop and not standoffs so I still need to find a solution.

Bird

LOR user
Laptops will not have them.
I apologize, I guess I should have been more clear about 'old'. ;)
I am talking about old 386, 486, P1 and maybe P2 era computers.
Sometime after that they went to plastic standoffs that are not as flexible in uses.

Bird

LOR user
FYI .. if you have any mom & pop type computer repair shops in your area, they should have lots of the standoffs laying around.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I use the CG-1500 boxes. But I cut out a piece of polycarbonate board the shape of the internal dimensions of the floor of the box box to use as a mounting plate and mounted my p12s boards using the plastic stand offs.
Then just screw that flat mounting plate into the CG-1500.
Can't see why the mounting plate couldn't be made of hardwood or particle board really since the p12s ( or whatever circuit board your are mounting) and power supply are sitting on stand offs.
I then pulled the foam piece out of the CG-1500 that blocks up the pre- existing holes got some fine netting and glu-gunned it to the box to use as my ventilation and the fine netting keeps the bugs out. The photo shows the mounting plate. I hadn't put the netting over the bottom holes yet.

netutu9y.jpg

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Hey Sick Xmas! Glad to see another Canuck....
This is my 1st year setting up for Christmas (started with Halloween last year) and I went with 2 X 27 Ray WU DMX boards, an E1.31 Bridge, a LOR AC controller and a REN32 with 8 dirkcheaps. I am trying to build mostly dumb RGB for outline of house and a talking tree using rope light (AC as DC is too expensive). Anyways, Here is a pic of my 27 channel and power supply stuffed in a CG1500. I used plain old #8 3/4" pan head screws to hold the board down and I dis-assembled the power supply and screwed the bottom shell to the enclosure and re-assembled the rest of the power supply (2 screws with washers though the metal venting on bottom and covered before putting board in). 2nd pic is my bridge and power supply in a CG1000, the rj45 at top is a modified cable for my LOR controller so I can connect it to one of the DMX out ports on the bridge. 3 screws are more than enough to hold board in place, just ensure you have some type of cable strain relief in place.... :D Ventilation shouldn't be a problem as in NS in OCT-DEC it stays pretty cool.... ;)