Mounting RGB strips on colourbond roof

Nettles

New elf
Just would like to know if there is an easy way to mount rgb strips onto a tin roof (to outline the shape of the roof, not along the guttering).
Would conduit work? How would they be secured to the roof?
Has anyone had any success with magnets?

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Suntuff end cap. Glue magnets to the back and position on roof line.. Slide in strip and away you go...

franky_888

Full time elf

mborg10

Michael Borg
franky_888 said:
It's in the same section, looks like this: http://www.bunnings.com.au/back-channel-frame-300-x-45-x-20mm-classic-cream_p1010805 (someone probably has a direct link).

In the bunnings I visited it was sandwiched in between the roofing sheets (a little hidden).

Thanks for the magnets tip. That would make build and tare down quicker! Have you got any tricks for buying some courage for walking on corro roofs? :D
Walk where the screws are. If you really aren't confident, wear a harness. Just make sure the other end is anchored.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
franky_888 said:
It's in the same section, looks like this: http://www.bunnings.com.au/back-channel-frame-300-x-45-x-20mm-classic-cream_p1010805 (someone probably has a direct link).

In the bunnings I visited it was sandwiched in between the roofing sheets (a little hidden).

Thanks for the magnets tip. That would make build and tare down quicker! Have you got any tricks for buying some courage for walking on corro roofs? :D
let someone else do it no in all fairness throw a rope over the other side of the roof till it hits the ground find something that is secure or weighs more than you by double and tie it off i would use a carabeener at the least if you dont have a harness andf you walk on the screw heads they will give you grip and i am going to use some off these so i can just clip the conduit onto with out the bolt

Attachments

• conduithanger.JPG
    conduithanger.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 26

cdjazman

Full time elf
For the strip along my roofline - on corrugated roof - I attached the strip to 20mm conduit from Masters @ $3 for 4 mtrs. - https://www.masters.com.au/product/900029068/tripac-medium-duty-conduit-20mm.jsp

Then I grabbed some of the following clips @ 22 cents each. [SIZE=78%]https://www.masters.com.au/product/900029161/tripac-conduit-u-clip-20mm[/SIZE]

I have screwed the clips into the roof and put some silicone around it to stop leaks. The clip is still on the roof.

Once they were up it was a simple click into place. Taking them down was just as quick.

Was my first year of having them this way so will see how the clips handle 12 months of weather. I am based in Melbourne so will see how many hot days we get.

ando1961

New elf
I have the requirement of placing 3 strips on my roofline but have still yet to figure out how. Lizardking , like your idea, but I have to still figure out how to get pass my wife banning me off the roof. (I live in a 2 storey house too) :eek:

mborg10

Michael Borg
The guy at work got a quote for 5 anchor points fitted to his 2nd storey roof for around $1000. They just river to the colorbond sheet. Throw in a permanent attachment where your ladder can hook on and your golden. Or get an EWP for a coupl of hundred a day that will get you to the gutters. Much cheaper than time in the hospital and much MUCH cheaper than a divorce.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
ando1961 said:
I have the requirement of placing 3 strips on my roofline but have still yet to figure out how. Lizardking , like your idea, but I have to still figure out how to get pass my wife banning me off the roof. (I live in a 2 storey house too) :eek:
yeah two storey is a bit different and yes your wife has every right mate i am sure you will find a solution

sveevers

New elf
I like the idea of magnets on the back of the suntuff end caps but how do you secure the strip in the end cap?

mitlrpro

New elf
I trialled using the super strong magnets from ebay glued to the end cap yesterday. If you have a 2nd storey roof and are banned from the roof it won't work. You still have to get up there as it is near impossible to get them in the right position.

Plus, the end cap is plastic and the magnets are metal (obviously) so it's hard to find a glue that will give the needed strength.

sveevers

New elf
I think self adhesive magnets might possibly be a better solution. Something likes this: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=380942164157