Mounting Strip & Custom Strings

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Hi All,

When ordering pixel strings from a vendor that are specific to an application such as a mega tree using mounting strip, is it wise to get a custom wire length between nodes?
I guess the same logic applies to a matrix and many other applications and I am thinking every little bit counts when trying to reduce voltage loss particularly with 5V pixels.

If you don't require 100mm centre to centre, would you reduce this? if yes, what would be a good distance for 1" spacing and also 2" spacing?

Happy to be told I am overthinking this and stick with standards if that is the best method.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
funnily enough pixel strings used to be closer to 7.5cm/3inch spacing, but wouldn't fit some props so they started supplying 10cm/4inch spacing. Now with so many high density props we're probably better off going back to 7.5cm/3inch.
Shorter spacing between pixels would also look nicer, not so much wire sticking out the back.

Johnno

Love Blinky Blink
This is my 1st year, and I have ordered all of my pixels with 75mm(3 inch) spacing, as I will be spacing very close at 25mm throughout whole house. which at 75mm spacing will minimize cable at the back and with enough length to join if there are blown pixels.

i13

Dedicated elf
I would reduce the spacing if I didn't need the pixels spaced further apart but I also overthink things. There is a calculator here which might help decide whether to do this: http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx
I have read that the wires in the pixel strings are often thinner than stated by the seller.

If you're going to reduce the spacing, I'd suggest specifying that the spacing you want is measured centre-to-centre and then still add in some extra length. The suppliers aren't always precise. With bullet shaped nodes, some of the wire is lost within the nodes themselves. Not all sellers account for this.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
One thing to keep in mind is that most vendor's quote for a specific spacing is the length of the wire between the pixels. Some of that length gets put into the casing to the solder joint on the boards. This means that a 4" spacing may only be 3.25" between nodes.

As always - check what the vendor is stating.