Moving Head Spotlights

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the link.

so they suck much more air through them than 2 standard 80mm fans, or just a bit more ?
I don't know the exact figures, but a "feel" test felt like they sucked way WAY more air out. My built has 2 80mm Da-share fans sucking air into the box, and this thing sucking air out. Admittedly it is now on the projector and not the Mover, however the air coming out is cool to ambient temperature.

I was planning on turning the fans around for the inlet side, but ended up buying two waterproof movers, thus the build become a bit of a white elephant. Fortunately I managed to repurpose it for the ultra short throw projector.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
@Domestos This is a great build and I think it's awesome that your shared it.

Just for additional details, what thickness is the dome that you ordered? It might help others make an easier selection.

Lastly, I would not use any sort of MDF outside. Once MDF gets wet and starts to absorb moisture it will swell and start to break up plus unless you use special fasteners they will not hold as well as wood.

I'm not sure if it is available in AU or not but besides marine grade ply there is a product here called MDO, Medium Density Overlay, it's a product designed for outdoor sign usage so is weatherproof but has a pretty smooth surface to it.

Again, I think your build was great.
Thanks mate. I've ended up ordering the 6mm thickness. 3mm would be more than enough for rain-proofing and the price diff between 3mm and 6mm was not that much. The 6mm would protect the lights from reasonable size hail. I 100% agree with you on the MDF, but the marine grade ply wood was absolutely insanly priced. The MDF held up well, but the ventilation could have been better.

bpratt

Senior elf
finally pulled my domed one day today. It was too heavy to get down by myself, and discovered even though I had fans in it, I forgot that simply sitting in the sun, there can be some pretty intense days.

That's the thing, no fans operating of a day time during some pretty intense days. Fans were only operating when the lights were turned on.

So it's pretty important to run the fans of a day time too.

It still works though, albeit it does sound a bit noisier.

1677414725669.png1677414725669.png1677414794360.png1677414794360.png

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Whilst fans during the day may help with ambient temps inside the dome and make the fixture casings not as soft, I assume if inside a perspex dome that in direct sun they act as a magnifying glass and may have indirect focal point of the sun's rays on the fixture.

bpratt

Senior elf
That's quite possible Graham.

However I think with good fans sucking out the hot air, whilst vents on the other side of the cabinet brought not so hot air in, it may not have been as severe.

I'm going to keep this one going till it dies, but this year I'll have a total of 4 350w outdoor units (I jumped in with they Deyne Deal), so this effectively 5th lower wattage unit will do less things. :)

Domestos

Apprentice elf
You can get a replacement cover from Aliexpress for about $50. Mine did the exact same thing, and the replacement cover, a pain in the rear end to replace, makes them good as new. (looks wise). Also do a proper lens clean aswell, as mine was so dirty, the gobo's and fixture was proper out of focus.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf

Attachments

• CABE5BC4-FDE2-45A9-871F-700FB3257A88.jpeg
    CABE5BC4-FDE2-45A9-871F-700FB3257A88.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 14

Domestos

Apprentice elf
@ermarquez Those are moving head spot lights. Usually used in the professional stage industry. Suffice to say there are plenty of different ones, and plenty of different technologies. Most people in the hobby either use the Sharpy R7 (which has a 230Watt Bulb) or the waterproof ones which has a 350w bulb. I started the first year with the Sharpy R7, but after building the waterproof enclusre, support structure, and struggling to get it on my roof, I opted to replace them with Waterproof ones. I ran into exactly the same issue as bpratt and had to replace the exterior casing. The Auzzie sun is an absolute beast in December so if you want to go down this route, make sure you include sun protection into your calculations.

That being said, these lights are amazing, and has been the talk of my show for the last couple of seasons. If you are interested I would strongly suggest you go for the waterproof ones. The Sharpy R7 is about $450 on Ebay, and the waterproof ones are about $1200 new.

ermarquez

Apprentice elf
@ermarquez Those are moving head spot lights. Usually used in the professional stage industry. Suffice to say there are plenty of different ones, and plenty of different technologies. Most people in the hobby either use the Sharpy R7 (which has a 230Watt Bulb) or the waterproof ones which has a 350w bulb. I started the first year with the Sharpy R7, but after building the waterproof enclusre, support structure, and struggling to get it on my roof, I opted to replace them with Waterproof ones. I ran into exactly the same issue as bpratt and had to replace the exterior casing. The Auzzie sun is an absolute beast in December so if you want to go down this route, make sure you include sun protection into your calculations.

That being said, these lights are amazing, and has been the talk of my show for the last couple of seasons. If you are interested I would strongly suggest you go for the waterproof ones. The Sharpy R7 is about $450 on Ebay, and the waterproof ones are about $1200 new.
thanks will check the items .