Multiple DC Voltage DMX Controllers

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As I prepare to take down my 2011 display, it occurs to me that the reason I didn't put some items out was that it was "too hard" to do neatly.

This was due to those items not being a standard voltage. Most of my display used Big W strings (30V DC) run from a couple of DC24s as well as some RGB bollards (12V DC) run from PIXAD8s.

There were a couple of static items that I ran odd voltages out to, but that was simple enough to add the required plug packs to my enclosure. There were other items that would have been nice to animate, but splitting the wiring (to controller and extra power supply) seemed like too much hassle at the time.

Are other people in the same boat? Do you have a few channels here and there that require odd voltages? Would a controller that had smaller "same voltage" banks be useful? (The DC24 has two banks of 12 and the DC48 has two banks of 24)

wjohn

Apprentice elf
David,

I had the same problem. With a collection of lights, I have things from 5 VDC, 12, 24, 28-30VDC.

my solution was not very economical, I used a few DMX8s for the 12 volt and 24 Volt items, the 28-30 VDC items were on DMX16 or DMX48 controllers.

Most of my controllers are in CG1000 or CG1500 cases, so it is not that practical for me to split power at the controller.

John.