Multiple power supplies on mega tree

cdjazman

Full time elf
So out of curiosity I thought to check the fuses as the lights just would not power up........ Frustrating.

And fuse for number five is broken.

Dumb question time - are they standard fuses from electrical store and also would this stop the board working in sending data? The board gets power.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438068772388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438068772388.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 12

andrewa

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
Dumb question time - are they standard fuses from electrical store and also would this stop the board working in sending data? The board gets power.

yes Mini Blade fuse, Jaycar, Repco ect. all stock them (even service stations)

cdjazman

Full time elf
AndrewA said:
cdjazman said:

yes Mini Blade fuse, Jaycar, Repco ect. all stock them (even service stations)
Thanks Andrew

cdjazman

Full time elf
Thanks to all that assisted. Now back up and working properly.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Habbosrus

Back again
AussiePhil said:
The ONLY reason it will get hot is because you have current flowing though the wire... now to find the reason.

Some thoughts.
There is little to no reason to connect PSU3 ground to the other 2 units, you will get much better load sharing by running the negatives out to the pixels.

you already have power coming into the ECGp12 from the pixels, why not power the board that way rather than the separate run to the power in connector.

I would have PSU1 supply one half and PSU2 supply the other half of the ECG

The wire gauge from PSU to the ECG looks far to thin....
Can I ask for some clarification? Last year I powered my controller directly from the power supply and powered my pixels from the same power supply, but didn't connect v+ back to controller. Your suggestion seems to be opposite. Is this a better way to power board. I am running 2812b 5v strip. I originally thought it would be best to power the controller and strip separately with fusing on controller and I had inline fusing to power injection leads. I know there are many ways of doing things within this hobby, just trying to understand options, better practices, etc. and I'm sure I'm not the only one. This time of year there will be plenty of newbies and even not so newbies, with similar thoughts I guess.