Music Controller for E1.31 light controller

Jimadelaide

New elf
Hi all, firstly my apologies but this is the first time my friend and I have looked into the Christmas lighting using controllers etc.
I have done some homework and purchased a 16 Output AlphaPix Classic E1.31 Controller from Holidaycoro.
We are looking at programming one or two songs using Vixen or xLights.
My question, again sorry if it is a noob question, is there a module I can buy to run music (or the radio) through which then creates its own sequence to hook into my E1.31 Controller?
I understand the sequencing won't be as fancy as programming ourselves but id like to just have some music playing and the lights to react with the music and save my programmed songs to be played every hour or so.
Does my question make sense?
Thanks in advance peeps.
Jim

Troy ELD

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the madness! Depending on what software you use, You can purchase or download free sequences from a google drive with Xlights. Many of us Aussies use xlights so if you do go in that direction, There is plenty of help on hand. Your controller will need to be told when the lights turn on, So you'll need to use a computer or a Raspberry Pi. Your controller wont run the sequence directly to the lights.

Last edited:

Jimadelaide

New elf
Thanks Troy. Yes, I understand the sequence side of things but is there a module that will sequence the lights by sound? I see you can purchase items like Vivi that controls the lights with the music. Was just wondering if there was something similar that just gives a light show using music. Thanks.

Ray Sticko

New elf
Raspberry Pi, a relay module and Lifhtshowpi. That’s what I currently have and you put some songs on the pi and it reads and does it’s thing.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
What you are asking for used to be called a "color organ". It listened to the beat of the music, and the different audio frequencies and turned things on and off accordingly. There have been some attempts at this type of item since the advent of pixels, but I haven't seen one that actually works at the level needed to run the controllers that we have today. Anyone else?