My 2011 Blinky lights

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I didn't get anything like what I'd hoped to up this year. I got a lot more than last year but it always leaves me wanting more. My customers and mother nature need to realise than November is blinky installing month.

Below are some pics of the display at day and night and the 3 types of controller that I'm running.
House1+2.JPG

The above pic is a of my house at day and night
Ray27.JPG

The above pic is of a 350W 24V power supply boxed up with a Ray Wu dmx controller
Dc48.JPG

The above pic is of another 350W 24V supply this time with a DC48 dmx controller supplied by AVD (David_AVD)
Lor.JPG

The final pic is of a LOR CTB16PC and the 300W 24VAC toroidal transformer that powers the left channels (1-8)

All 3 of my controller types have a 240V power loop in and out for daisy chaining the power if necessary. They all mount back to a pole which extends to just above the height of the enclosure for the purposes of looping mains cables or power board cables over. Most of the 10 controllers are also covered in a special rainproofing hood which in a previous life was a 8kg or 10kg dry dogfood bag. Because I didn't get the $10 boxes from Masters Hardware that I was after I ended up with some cheap and nasty $7 boxes from Sams Warehouse. These I've got fitted with some http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P6895 which I thought and are perfect for cable entries into my boxes. They're pretty weatherproof, easy to use and provide a bit of ventilation.

I was a bit of a naughty boy and used left over brown and blue from the mains cable to supply my DC.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Alan

I know exactly what your taking about also living on a big bit of dirt the grass/weeds wont stop growing and clients continually ringing, might be worth starting the set up earier next yaer as we have decided to do, I saw the photo today look great, wheres the vids'

AAH

Don't mention mowing. If it wasn't so dry the grass would be at the point where I'd have to mow tomorrow. I'm really hoping that I can get to the end of the month without having to mow around all the wires. I've now decided that the new display elements need to be made prior to November not during November. 3 Saturdays of rain to start the month off wasn't a great way to start blinky install month of either. That is just about the only rain we've had for the last 6 weeks though.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Well done Alan. I love the use of the bullnose cable entry plates.

I know what you mean about work getting in the way of our hobby. With the economy so slow early in the year I thought I'd have plenty of time to set up, but then the mad rush came along and scuttled over 50% of my plans.

Making display elements and cabling modular is definitely the way to go (for me anyway), so they can be rolled out with the minimum amount of installation effort each year.

BTW, I don't have a problem with blue + brown wiring for DC as long as it's done carefully. I have done the same for some of mine.

AAH

Tupperware is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too up market for me.