1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

My 2011 Blinky lights

Discussion in 'Show Off Arena' started by AAH, Dec 16, 2011.

1. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    I didn't get anything like what I'd hoped to up this year. I got a lot more than last year but it always leaves me wanting more. My customers and mother nature need to realise than November is blinky installing month.

Below are some pics of the display at day and night and the 3 types of controller that I'm running.
    House1+2.JPG

The above pic is a of my house at day and night
    Ray27.JPG

The above pic is of a 350W 24V power supply boxed up with a Ray Wu dmx controller
    Dc48.JPG

The above pic is of another 350W 24V supply this time with a DC48 dmx controller supplied by AVD (David_AVD)
    Lor.JPG

The final pic is of a LOR CTB16PC and the 300W 24VAC toroidal transformer that powers the left channels (1-8)

All 3 of my controller types have a 240V power loop in and out for daisy chaining the power if necessary. They all mount back to a pole which extends to just above the height of the enclosure for the purposes of looping mains cables or power board cables over. Most of the 10 controllers are also covered in a special rainproofing hood which in a previous life was a 8kg or 10kg dry dogfood bag. Because I didn't get the $10 boxes from Masters Hardware that I was after I ended up with some cheap and nasty $7 boxes from Sams Warehouse. These I've got fitted with some http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P6895 which I thought and are perfect for cable entries into my boxes. They're pretty weatherproof, easy to use and provide a bit of ventilation.

I was a bit of a naughty boy and used left over brown and blue from the mains cable to supply my DC.

2. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Very nice Alan and a decent sized property,now we want video :D

3. Beacy

Beacy It's so much better on the dark side

Alan

I know exactly what your taking about also living on a big bit of dirt the grass/weeds wont stop growing and clients continually ringing, might be worth starting the set up earier next yaer as we have decided to do, I saw the photo today look great, wheres the vids'

4. OP
    OP
    AAH

Find Me On:
    Don't mention mowing. If it wasn't so dry the grass would be at the point where I'd have to mow tomorrow. I'm really hoping that I can get to the end of the month without having to mow around all the wires. I've now decided that the new display elements need to be made prior to November not during November. 3 Saturdays of rain to start the month off wasn't a great way to start blinky install month of either. That is just about the only rain we've had for the last 6 weeks though.

5. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Well done Alan. I love the use of the bullnose cable entry plates.

I know what you mean about work getting in the way of our hobby. With the economy so slow early in the year I thought I'd have plenty of time to set up, but then the mad rush came along and scuttled over 50% of my plans.

Making display elements and cabling modular is definitely the way to go (for me anyway), so they can be rolled out with the minimum amount of installation effort each year.

BTW, I don't have a problem with blue + brown wiring for DC as long as it's done carefully. I have done the same for some of mine.

6. pipersmall

pipersmall Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Looks great Alan. Thanks for showing off all your handy work.

7. mpurser

mpurser m purser

alan i only have one question are those Tupperware boxes U/L approved LOL

8. OP
    OP
    AAH

Find Me On:
    Tupperware is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too up market for me.