My 2013 tree plans

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Ok, I'm planning a tree for 2013 and thought I'd post up my intentions for the usual scrutiny by the masses.
Please be gentle :)

I intend on using
  • 32 strands of these in 42 pixels per strand which will give me 4 strands or 168 pixels per universe, for 8 universes in total
  • Either a P2 or PIXAD8 (undecided yet) for control
  • Tree should end up around 5mts tall with a base circ of approx 2mts
Depends on initial testing but most likely will need injection at both ends of each strand.
After much reading on the "keeping the nodes straight" issue I have a couple of ideas which I plan on trying to see if they are viable or not.
Has any one investigated using some form of mesh netting like bird netting to wrap around the form of the tree and then fix the nodes too. Its fairly cheap and should keep the nodes from spinning as it has horizontal as well as vertical support. So long as its not too dense it should still allow the back nodes to be visible as well.

Otherwise I'm really not that fussed if the nodes turn as they will still be visible at night when lit.
I have a few rolls of Stainless lashing wire thats used for overhead cable support which I can run for each strand to take any strain off the pixels.

The other thing I havent decided on yet is the pole, May end up just using some 2" gal water pipe and weld up a base and some support structure. Or if I can source a suitable reasonably priced flag pole of sufficient strength I may even go down that path.

Oh and another thought is I may only use 40 pixels per strand which will leave me 80 pixels to fashion some sort of star arrangement for the top. My question though would be is it viable to span an element acrossseparate universes? As this would mean The star would use 10 pixels from each of the 8 universes. If this is Ok to do then thats the plan otherwise I'll just do one using dumb strip.

Anyhoo all coments/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rod

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I'm intrigued about your suggestion to use some sort of mesh/netting to stop pixels twisting. . . . . that could work.
Be interested to see your base design. I have a new yard to play with this year, so I'm researching how to do a better mega tree.

Jim

New elf
in respect of a pole check out the regular TV masts and associated bases/guys etc available. Hills antenna website may help

regards Jim...

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
At 5 mt tall the net would be a pain in the ass its messy enough with the strings, I would try & keep things as simple as possible with the universes. I wouldn't complicate the sequencing by stealing a few channels from here & the for the star, I would just run it off a P2 by itself

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Tend to agree Beacy, I have done away with the netting idea, I'm going down the packing strap path, I'm gonna play around with a couple of horizontal straps as well but in the end if they twist I'm prolly not gonna be that fussed as they will still be seen anyway.

I've also decided on using Gal water pipe as the mast too as I can easily customise (weld) it for my needs. Also lets me do away with any wire bracing as should be solid enough on its own.
Hopefully I'll start the build soon so I can start playing.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Used packing strap in 2012, wasn't as great as anticipated. Had three rings down the tree to try and stabilise strands. The pixels were just too heavy and turned inwards 2 or 3 pixels out from each ring. If we didn't run out of time we might have gone 5 or 6 stabilising rings and that might have worked, but it was incredibly fiddly putting it up.
The up side is that the packing strap is relatively cheap and you have the luxury of time to have a play around. You might find something that works. :)

barbotte

Apprentice elf
going to used emt 1/2 ..and attache my light to it .. center pole i am going to used schedule 80 aluminum ...
cheer

Greg Young

New elf
I built mine using the same 42 pixels per string, 32 strings, for a total of 8 universes using packing tape as well.
By using basket weaving I was able to keep all the pixels lined up, creating a video grid if you will...
Detailed instructions on the build are on our website: www.youngschristmas.com in the how-to-section.
A video of the tree in action is on the site, in the previous video section - 2012.
I was pleased with how the tree finally worked out...
Greg

Donny M. Carter

Apprentice elf
Greg Young said:
I built mine using the same 42 pixels per string, 32 strings, for a total of 8 universes using packing tape as well.
By using basket weaving I was able to keep all the pixels lined up, creating a video grid if you will...
Detailed instructions on the build are on our website: www.youngschristmas.com in the how-to-section.
A video of the tree in action is on the site, in the previous video section - 2012.
I was pleased with how the tree finally worked out...
Greg
What did the height of your tree end up being Greg?

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I'm going to have go at a megatree this year and was planning on trying out the packing strap (thermastrap) idea. It's going to be close to the house so I plan to stick one of those aerial poles with the 90 degree bend for getting around eaves. That way I can get 5m off the ground without needing to use a full length flagpole (just the 1.4m aerial above the roof will get me there).Couple of questions to the experienced....
1) How do you make the joins in the thermastrap (packing strap)? Stapling looks like it could effect the strength and glue gun doesn't seem that strong either.
2) how many strands of 5m strip should I consider if I want to try using it like a matrix to have images in the tree (a bit like fasteddys display this year....that was cool 8) ). I know fasteddy had 12 strips but wondered if you can still get away with, say, 8 and still be able to do images (12 would be nice but might blow the budget).[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]

Skunberg

Full time elf
1 everyone that I've seen so far uses no joints. Buy a roll of strapping material and make your required lengths.
2 the less you have the less detail you'll have. So 8 will work but you might not be happy with it. Look at Eddy's 12 and the 32 string post and you'll have a idea of the difference. You might consider going half as high so your 8 will become 16 half strings.

Brian

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Thanks Skunberg,
Might just have to bite the bullet and go with 12. Thought about doing half strings but a 2.5m tree just looked a bit short against the house.
With regards to the "joins" in the packing strap, I was meaning more about connecting the strap at the top and bottom of the tree , I.e do people make loops with the ends of the strap and how do the loops get made. Also when putting cross pieces across the tree to stop the strips from twisting, how are people connecting the cross pieces of the strap to the vertical lengths ( sorry my original post wasn't very clear - I do have a continuous 300m roll of the strap)
Thanks