My 2013 tree plans

Skunberg

Full time elf
Yes, Walter's doc is very good to go by. Your 2.5m tree might look O.K. if you have it 2m off the ground. Just a thought. And another thought, 12 strings double to 24 2.5m? Just don't plan to add on later. Pixels seem to very enough to cause complaints. So if you want more later, buy them all together and plan on using these for another project. I'm sure you'll love what ever options you pick. Just let us see it. Thank's!

Brian

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Ok after some discussions in chat I have altered course with my Tree Strand mounting method (Thanks Alec) :D
I'm no longer going down the packing strap method, instead I intend to use polypropylene strapping and eyelets as the mounting method.
It solves a number of problems.
As the nodes are mounted through the eyelets all the weight is effectively behind the strap which should keep it form twisting.
Also theres no need for any cable ties, tape or glue to mount each node as each one just clips in.
This also makes replacing any faulty ones so much easier.

The only down side I can see so far is I have another 1342 more eyelets to punch in :-\
Time to set mind to purpose! :D

Tree%20Strands.jpg

dougd

Full time elf
And I thought zips ties were bad. Good luck with 1342 eyelets. Hope you have a good punch. That is an awesome idea wish they sold strapping with eyelets at a reasonable price. Do you have a day job :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
Excellent I was looking at the strapping too but the pixels say they can fit thru material 1.5mm thick with a 12mm hole and wasn't sure if the eyelets would be that thin. Where did you get the strapping an eyelets from. If I go this method I think I'll invest in a good punch tool.

kane

Dedicated elf
I like the look of this.

Just doing a quick search to find out sources for polypropylene strapping - and a bit confused - is polypropylene the plastic ones that are used for strapping boxes etc?

The one you are using seems to be a fabric of sorts though?

Also, will be interesting to see how strong the strapping is when all the eyelets are in - a good percentage of the width is taken away with the eyelet, so hopefully that doesn't cause issues?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Strapping and eyelets all came from Fleabay. 12mm Eyelets and the pixels clip in nice.
Ive got an eyelet press which will make it all a bit easier although it doesnt punch the hole first, Ive got a couple of cheapy punch tools so I'll see how they go first before I look at anything decent.

I'll post up some more pics once I get a couple of strands done.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Kane said:
I like the look of this.

Just doing a quick search to find out sources for polypropylene strapping - and a bit confused - is polypropylene the plastic ones that are used for strapping boxes etc?

The one you are using seems to be a fabric of sorts though?

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Search for Nylon strap, there are 2 types, Nylon and Poly, I think the nylon is a little bit cheaper but the poly is more suited to outdoor exposure to the elements and nearly zero stretch. It the same stuff they make dog collars and boat canopy straps out of.[/font]

Also, will be interesting to see how strong the strapping is when all the eyelets are in - a good percentage of the width is taken away with the eyelet, so hopefully that doesn't cause issues?

So far it seems pretty good, the strapping is fairly tough stuff. Although my straps wont be load bearing other than the weight of the pixels themselves.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Okay heres the first strand almost completed.
Just need to get the monster-in-law to sew the two ends near the rings for added strength.
Then its just a matter of popping the pixels in once Ive ordered and wired them up.
:D :D :D
Must say it was easier than I thought it would be 8)
Only 31 more strands to go!.............

Photo%2023-07-13%207%2041%2007%20PM.jpg

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Bit of an update.
Construction is moving smoothly
Ive macgyvered a crude jig to assist with the hole punching, mounting the punch in a drill press has made it alot less time consuming.
One thing though, make sure you get a good quality hole or wad punch, Ive gone through 2 cheap Flea bay ones on the first 1/2 dozen strips.
I got a decent German one now which has halved the time taken and is still going strong after another 15 strips so far.
Oh yeah and I've also had a bit of help from my assistant ;)

Video Here

null_zps24bdea8e.jpg

null_zps428d16f5.jpg

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Construction of the Tree Frame is well under way :D

Heres the Head frame

TreeTop.jpg

And the base ring under construction

Tree%20Base%20Ring1.jpg

And nearly finished...

Tree%20Base%20Ring%202.jpg