My 2013 tree plans

mborg10

Michael Borg
I haven't got the poly webbing yet. The closest thing I had was the strapping on an old backpack. Closest thing I could find, but it went they like butter. One handed. Of course ill test again when I get the webbing.

They don't say self cutting they call them "12mm eyelets punch stamp set." They aren't sharp but the are made of really thin gauge metal. The press comes with the dies and is pretty heavy. About 13kg

I built myself up for disappointment so am really happy.

damo1271

Full time elf

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Trees starting to grow!
6abyvy8e.jpg

mborg10

Michael Borg
Ok I admit I was wrong. I tried my eyelet punch on my strapping and well BOO is all I can say. The strapping is slit tougher than the one on a back pack. Dad has wad punches (he is an auto upholstery by trade) so I went up to test some. Hitting the punch with a hammer damaged the end really quick and the punch set he has is too big for his press. The punch set was a cheapy too.

So I've ordered a better quality punch so I'll have to wait and see. Nothing like the last minute.

damo1271

Full time elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Ok I admit I was wrong. I tried my eyelet punch on my strapping and well BOO is all I can say. The strapping is slit tougher than the one on a back pack. Dad has wad punches (he is an auto upholstery by trade) so I went up to test some. Hitting the punch with a hammer damaged the end really quick and the punch set he has is too big for his press. The punch set was a cheapy too.

So I've ordered a better quality punch so I'll have to wait and see. Nothing like the last minute.

I found the same problem so I ordered some lighter weight polyester strapping from ebay. Look up BINDING TAPE POLYESTER 25mm 1" Black 100 mtrs.
I am about to order some 32mm as the eyelets work OK with the 25mm but there isnt a lot of material left.
The eyelets goes through this in one go. (mostly) I punch down hard with the eyelet tool when I set them and it works OK - one step. I havent had a real problem yet with an eyelet not piercing and stuffing up, but a few don't pierce completely - a few threads are left.
I expect that the polyester wont last very long and will fade, or perish, or tear, etc. It will do for this year!

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Just make sure the lighter Poly webbing can take the load as it needs to be put under a bit of tension to keep it all straight.

mborg10

Michael Borg
damo1271 said:
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:

I found the same problem so I ordered some lighter weight polyester strapping from ebay. Look up BINDING TAPE POLYESTER 25mm 1" Black 100 mtrs.
I am about to order some 32mm as the eyelets work OK with the 25mm but there isnt a lot of material left.
The eyelets goes through this in one go. (mostly) I punch down hard with the eyelet tool when I set them and it works OK - one step. I havent had a real problem yet with an eyelet not piercing and stuffing up, but a few don't pierce completely - a few threads are left.
I expect that the polyester wont last very long and will fade, or perish, or tear, etc. It will do for this year!

Yeah I'm planning more for the long run and I'm going to stick with trying to nut it out. I bought 500m of webbing and got a quote from an engineering company of $600 to punch holes every 11cm for the 500m but I don't want to spend that much.

I have seen thermal punch machines but they are expensive. An idea I have is wad punch in the drill press with Teflon chopping board underneath but a heat gun heating the punch. Only time and experimenting will tell.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah I'm planning more for the long run and I'm going to stick with trying to nut it out. I bought 500m of webbing and got a quote from an engineering company of $600 to punch holes every 11cm for the 500m but I don't want to spend that much.

I have seen thermal punch machines but they are expensive. An idea I have is wad punch in the drill press with Teflon chopping board underneath but a heat gun heating the punch. Only time and experimenting will tell.

damo1271

Full time elf
I thought of using a gas torch to heat the punch and 'melt' through the webbing. That idea will have to wait for now!

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah same but a gas soldering iron lasts 20 minutes. I worked out if I do a hole every 5 seconds my 2000 holes will take almost 3 hours which is 9 cans of fuel which is too expensive. If I use electric heat gun it will be in dads shed so he can pay for it haha