My 2013 tree plans

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I wouldn't want to be heating the webbing, you'll only weaken it at each hole.
A good quality wad punch is all you need. If you can set it up like I did mine in the drill press it's not that hard. My 8 Yo had no trouble punching as he was helping.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'm trying to copy your set up but trying to make it for one person use. No helpers unfortunately. I guess just thinking out loud as it's coming to the crunch and running out of time.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
lol, My setup is for one person use, its just when you have 4 and 8 Year old boys theres no such thing as "one person use"
:eek:

mborg10

Michael Borg
Got my wad punch today so went to dads to give it a go. Set up a jig and away we went. It takes under 10 mins to punch the 42 holes for one strand and took dad about 25 mins per strand to put the eyelets in. If I can complete a full strand by myself every 30mins that's 24 hours for 48 strands. I gotta pick the pace up. But hey it works

damo1271

Full time elf
I am taking about 5 minutes per strand of 25 eyelets, but I have no holes to punch. :) I can make a strand in less than two ad breaks! (Or 1 ad break if its channel 7 with a sports update!)
I use a very simple jig to set the spacing and once you get a rhythm going it is very quick.

However I am using a thin polyester webbing so i will probably be doing the same thing this time next year while you are all sitting back laughing at how I am doing things twice over. My 5 minutes turns into 5 minutes, plus 10 minutes to punch holes plus 25 minutes :( .

Anyway, I only have 1400 eyelets to go now!

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'm waiting for my pixels from ray to arrive for my mega tree. I have completed 18 straps of 48 so far. I tested a string of pixels I have for another purpose and oops I have discovered a design floor.

To suit the height of my tree I have worked out I need a spacing of 110mm between eyelets, but standard pixels are only 100mm apart. The first 3 pixels go in like I have tested before but as I added more pixels the angle got worse and the strap starts to curve. I have emailed ray to see if he can change it to 120mm spacing. So we will wait and see. Fingers crossed.

Measure twice cut once.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Just finished my last and 48th strap. Amazing what can be done on a rainy day

a2a2e8a4.jpg

Snicko

Apprentice elf
This tree was amazing to se at night, great to see how it was built up!

Not sure if im keen on punching 1000 holes just yet but you have inspired me rod!

JPB

Full time elf
This may be the base plan for our 2014 tree, scaled down to 2m tall.

In regards to using wad punches, punching into the end grain of a block of wood gives good results

Jon

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Spread it out and you'll be fine, I think I did mine over a month or so, just do a few when you get a spare minute.
The part I found the worst was the pixels ray sent me were shorter in the bulb than the first lot I had.
This meant that some didnt click in fully so I chose to silicone each one in as well.
That was a pain :(