My display thus far...

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hope you all dont mind but I think I might make this my permanent thread by throwing everything into here.

My first controller box is the LoR 240v with pigtails box.

2ndcontrollerbox.jpg
Inside2ndcontrollerbox.jpg

The above is my 2nd controller box with 320w 12v power supply and CMB-16D-QC Deluxe DC card. Should be able to fit a couple more cards in there in time.

Below is my 3rd controller box with 1 x 31v power supply (odd I know) and 1 x 24v power supply. My 3rd DC card will fit in there (and maybe another in time).

3rdcontrollerbox.jpg
Inside3rdcontrollerbox.jpg

Getting there
smile.png

ewanh

what goes here?
31v is not uncommon. I have some 24V AC lights that run best at 31V DC. I am sure someone with better electronics knowledge than me would be abel to explain.

Ewan

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
That's a good idea mounting the power supply and board off some ply Shell. I wonder where that idea came from ;)

On a more serious note in that same enclosure the the wire between the supply and the board looks reasonably skinny to me. The board has 2 20A fused sides on it. With fusing this high the wire between the the power supply and the pcb should be at least 1.5mm cross sectional area which would be double what the mains cable is if you need something to reference against.

With the nice job on the face and the tidy work on the controllers I'm expecting you'll do some nice work this year Shell.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I have updated my enclosures as per suggestions in chatroom.

2mm cable and vent holes out the side

1st one is LoR 240V AC with pigtails

This is the 2nd one
LORUnit2.jpg

This is the 3rd one
LORUnit3.jpg

and the 4th one is the DC48 one
DMXUnit4.jpg

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Just make sure those elbows are pointing down to stop water getting in and also good to add some fly screen as well to stop any bugs getting in.

But you make my stuff look bodgy :eek:

kane

Dedicated elf
To help out anyone else wanting to do the same, can you detail where you got the glands from, and whether they allow the rj45 plug to fit through (and in which case, do they seal well enough around the cable), or if you connect up the plug afterwards?

Also, what did you use to connect the pvc pipe to the box?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I got the glands from my local electrical store, they come in 3-4 different sizes, so I got the 16mm ones to put 1 or 2 power plugs through, they seal very well when screwed closed. I got the larger 25mm ones for all the DC card cables that will be running out of the enclosure and the Cat5. The RJ45's do fit through the 25mm glands easily.

Im not sure what the name of the PVC screwpipes are that I used to be honest. I told the guy what I was doing he threw them to me :) It works much like a nut & bolt. You then add a bit of conduit e.g 40mm, then push the elbow on. The screw part goes over 20mm and the elbow goes over the other 20mm, so it covers the 40mm conduit. Mine werent perfect 40mm conduit bits as you can see in the pics, slightly different lengths, but I couldnt be bothered doing it perfectly. You can also silicon to solidly seal the join.

IMG_0796.jpg

kane

Dedicated elf
I got a bunch of glands from http://www.red2go.net/listProduct/Glands/Nylon+Gland - just the smaller ones though, which wouldn't be big enough for a RJ45 plug to fit through.. Their "medium" size looks like it would be too big (ie it wouldn't tighten around the cable enough).

These sorts of threads are invaluable for people starting out - means you can get things right the first time around!

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
They are technically called a plain to screw adaptor with a lock ring. And they are sold as separate items.

Great job with the boxes.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Shell, where did you get the 31v power supply from. Although lots of my lights are 24v, the ones I got last year all seemed to be 31v and I couldn't see a 31v supply on Ray Wu's store.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hiya log, I see you are also from NZ.

I got a 27v from wellforces here in NZ and increased the voltage to max 32v.

I also had a lot of 31v, they are the ones from The Warehouse :)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Thanks Shell,
Having a go at moving my static display into the musical realm this year but in a smaller way compared to your proposed setup that I saw on the LOR forums ( looks good by the way).
Thanks for the info on the power supply. Yes I have several sets from the warehouse and was surprised to see they are 31v compared to all my others that are 24V. I had heard that some lower voltage power supplies can be adjusted higher so your info is very helpful.
Have gone with a CMB-16D all setup for RGB from Kevin at christmaslightingdisplays just to make life easier and then another CMB-16D from the LOR sale which I'll have a go at setting up myself for my 24v and 31v LEDs. I want to stick with low voltage lights as people tend to wander amongst the lights in our property so don't want to fry anyone. :)

I got lots to learn but looking forward to it.